• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Preflight Unable To Find Suitable Font for Embedding

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am trying to embed fonts using preflight but whenever I do I get an error saying that they could not find suitable fonts for embedding. Is there anyway to fix this or workaround? I'm trying to upload the file to lulu.com and I need them embedded.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

To be absolutely explicit, Acrobat Preflight can only embed fonts into a PDF file in which fonts are referenced but not embedded if all the following are true:

(1)     The fonts in question must be installed on the computer on which Acrobat is running. Obviously, if the fonts are not installed, Acrobat Preflight cannot conjure them up! 

(2)     The fonts don't need to just match in name, but must substantially match the original referenced font. For example, if the original referenced font was a

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you own a license for the fonts, and have you installed the fonts on your computer?

Why aren't they embedded? That is, what I'm really asking is how do you make the PDF exactly - because generally that's where you embed the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be absolutely explicit, Acrobat Preflight can only embed fonts into a PDF file in which fonts are referenced but not embedded if all the following are true:

(1)     The fonts in question must be installed on the computer on which Acrobat is running. Obviously, if the fonts are not installed, Acrobat Preflight cannot conjure them up! 

(2)     The fonts don't need to just match in name, but must substantially match the original referenced font. For example, if the original referenced font was a Type 1 font, a TrueType version of that font will probably not be considered as a suitable font.

(3)     Character set and character mapping mismatches. As an example, there are very many versions of Arial over the last 25 years, some with less than 256 distinct character definitions and some of the more recent versions with over 5000 character definitions. If your original document referenced characters that are not available with the version of Arial you have installed or the character mapping is different, the font cannot be embedded.

(4)     The font's embedding flags must allow for the font to be embedded in a PDF file. As strange as it may seem, there are fonts licensed (not by Adobe) that don't allow for embedding. If Adobe applications including Acrobat Preflight encounter such fonts, the applications will obey the intent of the font foundry as expressed by the embedding flags and not embed the font in the PDF file, either during PDF file creation or other operations such as Preflight.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2019 Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I download more fonts at? And do I install them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that fonts are software. Although some fonts are “freeware” that are available for free download on the web, most fonts are licensed just as application software is. You buy a license for the font(s) and then they are made available to you for download and installation on your system.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the very complicated world of fonts. There are thousands of font makers, and hundreds of thousands or millions of fonts. Some are sold, some are free, and some are not available to you. Also some names are made up and unique. Each font is different. Search for the font name to start with. Or tell us the names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey no, first tell us how you make the PDF exactly. Because you may already have the fonts. Details please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2022 Nov 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I am having an issue with Acrobat Pro DC not embedding fonts in drop down menus. The fonts required (Klavika) are loaded onto my system and embed elsewhere in the pdf, but for some reason, not in drop down menus. When I go to Preflight fix, it tells me it is unable to find a suitable font for embedding. I suspected it could be a license issue, but on further investigation, Klavika is a free Adobe font with no license required. Help please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines