• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

print to pdf include hyperlinks?

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the Adobe PDF printer doesn't include hyperlinks due to postscript semantics? I copied text from a webpage to an Open Office doc then printed to pdf to find that the links are still blue and underlined, but their URLs have been lost.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Don't confuse the "apples with the oranges"; the PDF printer (File > Print > Adobe Printer or Print > Select Printer > Adobe Printer) is not the PDFMaker Add-in for Office applications.

Adobe Printer provides "print" similar to a printer driver for a local or network printer. Paper (even "ePaper") has no "interactivity".

PDFMaker provides configuration options that, along with other features, provides an output PDF that can have links.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Use PDFMaker, not PDF Printer. Has been recommended 15 years and more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well, whatever. It looks like Open Office has an export to pdf function, which includes hyperlinks. I bet it was a lot of trouble for them to include it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Acrobat, use web capture to create the PDF or use the browser bar "Adobe PDF" to convert a web page to PDF.

Either provides PDFs containing the web page's links.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I'm in a situation where converting to pdf directly from a browser provides undesirable formatting results. Instead I have been copying formatted text from the browser, pasting it in a word processor (with links intact), making minor modifications to the format, then publishing to pdf.

I posted because I was surprised that the functionality wasn't available, and wanted to ensure that this is the case. Fortunately, Open Office has included hyperlink inclusion with PDF publishing through its exporter, so the Adobe PDF printer isn't really needed- at least until I run into some other issue that comes to fruition through the lack of universal semantics inherent of a language like postscript.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2011 Jan 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having  a similar problem, but with the Adobe print from my browser - the resulting PDF file does not include functional hyperlinks, just blue underlined text.  How do I configure the PDF printer settings such that the links are clickable? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I configure the PDF printer settings such that the links are clickable?

Not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehehe, even in the year 2011, PostScript is not a hyperlink language, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehehe, even in the year 2011, PostScript is not a hyperlink language, right?

PostScript is not a hyperlink language.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really?  Why? For a professional program, that seems pretty ridiculous.  If I copy the same text to MS Word, and "Save as" PDF (using Word's native save as PDF ability, not Print to Adobe PDF), the links are clickable. It's not that complicated. . . . what's the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm not mistaken, the PDF Printer is special in that it is a strict PostScript compiler. PostScript is a printing language, meant only for printing, and so the PDF Maker exists. I think it's about preserving the sanctity of PostScript, ensuring that it isn't tainted with other functionality like HTML. Seems silly either way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't confuse the "apples with the oranges"; the PDF printer (File > Print > Adobe Printer or Print > Select Printer > Adobe Printer) is not the PDFMaker Add-in for Office applications.

Adobe Printer provides "print" similar to a printer driver for a local or network printer. Paper (even "ePaper") has no "interactivity".

PDFMaker provides configuration options that, along with other features, provides an output PDF that can have links.

Be well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused about whether you added any info past what I just posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not referring to "PDFmaker;" you do not need to own Acrobat or install any plugin to "Save as...."  PDF in MS Word 2010. PDF is just one of the available formats one can save a file as in the "Save as" menu.

Paper (even "ePaper") has no "interactivity".

Actually, "ePaper" typically does have "interactivity." That's one of the advantages of it. It also has "metadata" and other "e" features.

If "PDFMaker" can be configured to include links, why can't Adobe Printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, the PDF Printer is special, because it is a "post-script only" printer. That means it has standards, it's like the girl next-door that doesn't mess around with any guys from the east side of town, you can guarantee that she'll only make certain types of babies- and so printing presses can believe in her and know that they will get a foreseable offspring in their printed result, without any crossbread HTML weirdness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha, okay.  Still seems....less than ideal.  Oh well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Up through AA8, PDF Maker was a preprocessor for the Adobe PDF printer. The processor added PDF Marks to the printer file so that when it was processed by Distiller, the links would be added. You can still do that with the printer yourself, but you have to figure out how to add the PDF Marks information. It used to be that you could insert a small EPS file in the document that included the PDF Marks and when you printed to the Adobe printer, you would get the desired results. Problem is that you have a lot of work to learn the PDF Marks to do it directly with the printer.  The PDF Maker process took care of this for you. I do not know the process that is used in AA9 and AAX, but suspect it is something similar, though not directly using the printer.

Bottom line is that if you want to do it with the printer, you can. However, you have to code it with PDF Marks yourself -- a lot of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe Team do not want to correct this simple bug, i will stop paying Adobe subscription and buy cheaper PDF Maker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The price for alternative and working PDF App is just £4 per year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy Cow! I am reacing this in 2023 and they still haven't fixed the problem. So much for caring about their customers, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Use PDFMaker, not PDF Printer. Has been recommended 15 years and more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines