• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing problem when PDF is sent to the printer with certain fonts - missing text

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2013 Nov 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into a printing problem when PDFs containing certain characters of the Calibri font are used.  The text in large sections of the PDF is missing on the paper version, but the text is there on the screen.  It's also happened when the PDFs we created were e-mailed out to a client and printed on their printer.  The problem is not present when printing directly from the programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio, etc.).  I've been trying to get tech support from Adobe on this, but every time I call they apologize and say they will call back in 4-6 hours with an answer.  Same result each time, no call back.  If anyone from Adobe is listening, it's case number 184891587.  The font appears as an embedded subset when I look at the document properties.  Sometimes deleting one or two Characters allows for larger text blocks to be printed - i.e. removing a long dash in bold from the heading of a paragraph makes the paragraph reappear when printed to paper from PDF.  In all cases the PDF appears correct on the screen.  Printing as an image allows the text to appear, but the image quality isn't acceptable for small text, even at the 600 dpi setting on the printer.  If the PDF is sent out by e-mail, we do not have control over the end-user's printer setup anyway, so we need this to work in all cases.  

The setup/process I'm using is as follows:

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-Bit

Microsoft Office 2013 - problem is present when printing documents from Word, Excel or Visio.  Even other variations on documents. 

I've tried Acrobat versions 11.0.0 to 11.0.5 as well as Acrobat Pro 11.0.0 and 11.0.1.  Same Result

Printing to Adobe PDF as the printer, from the third party application

Printing to a Xerox printer from PDF using Acrobat - Text missing

Client prints to Konica printer - Text missing

I print to the wide-format Ricoh (which also does 11x17) and the text is present. 

Is there something I'm missing?  Is the entire font not getting embedded into the PDF file?  I noticed that rolling back to a much older version of the Calibri font (1.02 compared to 5.72) makes the problem mostly go away, but it's not completely gone.  Is it possible the font is too large to be completely embedded?  Where can I go from here? 

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had a similar problem that we solved this week. I could print from our program to Adobe fine but the Controller of our company was having issues. I checked her printer driver and she was using a generic windows driver when I am using the correct driver for our Printer , Copier Scanner Multifunction Office machine. Removed her printer, reinstalled (it tried to use generic Windows 10 driver) overode with correct driver...bingo solved her problem. Operations Manager said he had problem to, (same generic driver), removed printer reinstalled TCP/IP correct driver...corrected his issues also. It is worth a try checking to make sure you have the correct up to date driver for your actual default printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Guys. I just solved teh same problem today.  What I did: Open my pdf files using Microsoft Edge.  Then you could either print it or download it to be printed. I hope this helpspdf missing words - Copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines