• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"An Internal Error Occured" when clicking on a PDF and Windows Explorer preview pane is showing.

Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Running Windows 11, up-to-date system and up-to-date Creative Cloud and Adobe Acrobat DC. I have my preview pane visible when going through my files, and sometime in the last 2 weeks PDFs no longer show up in the preview pane. Instead, windows explorer freezes for a few seconds and then shows an Adobe Acrobat "An Internal Error Occured" pop-up. I tried clearing out my temporary files, and tried creating a "2022" folder in C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\ which was suggested in this thread. Neither worked. All other file types (.jpg, .doc, etc.) show up in the preview pane just fine. Any suggestions?

Screenshot 2022-09-13 134651.png

 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

I FOUND A SOLUTION.

I had to go C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Local and right click the Adobe folder, click properties and go to security tab. I had a bunch of left-over "Account Unknown" listed besides my three main ones (System, [me], Admin). I deleted all the account unknowns.

That fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

This worked, for me! (thank god, what a pain in the a**)
I couldn't find the "AppData" folder, I ended up finding it by clicking "view", then "show" and then toggling on "hidden files".

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Me paso lo mismo, entre en la ruto que colocaron y le saque los permisos heredados y borre los los desconocidos y hasta ahora funciona

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 144 Replies 144
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I deleted it in "Advanced".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I had the same. Just click on the account and deny any permissions. Confirm changes, and then you will be able to remove that one as well. 

DonHermes_0-1666248957987.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had the same situation. Delete all others but could not delete one or two but it fixed the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had that to. For  me I hit apply and it deleted the last one too automatically. Did yours do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One such Account Unknown remains

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried everything. Unable to get rid of the last one. Nevertheless, I still wonder how it got created and how does it affect the preview pane function. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get it sorted? I went into "Advanced" highlighted below and managed to disable and remove the last Unknown Account.

RedFeathers_0-1666683925761.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me (Windows 10 64), thanks!

CVO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!! FINALLY!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me too, once I clicked "Apply" on the Security tab it disappeared for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DziÄ™ki bardzo !!!!! DziaÅ‚a 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, but it still fixed the overall problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! I was able to delete all but one AccountUnknown. For me, it was the very first one listed BTW. Try clicking the Apply button even though it didn't let you delete the one. As soon as I hit Apply the sole remaining AccountUnknown dissapeared from the list shown in the Adobe Properties window sitting behind the Permissions to Adobe window. It appears to have completely resolved the issue. So yes, all hail MarkelRayes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RedFeathers I had the same thing so I did a quick restart and the last Account Unknown was gone when I went back into security settings. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! I was getting excited about the fix. I get either the internal error code or Adobe opens for about 1/2 a second and closes out. Doesn't even open. So frustrated becasue my company is paying for a license for Adobe and I cannot even use it!!!!!! I have told them that Adobe is not what it used to be and to please remove it but they haven't yet so I thought I would try it again but nope. App doesn't even open now. GRRRRR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Debra,

Here are the steps that I used to apply the fix. It seems that if you don't click Disable Inheritance when removing the accounts, the issues may return.

Also, make sure that you're going to the correct Adobe folder by typing in the file path at the top "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local" because the AppData folder is usually hidden so people go into the wrong folder when clicking through instead of typing in the path.

The Adobe folder inside Programs is not the same one as in the Local folder.

Let me know if this works or if you get stuck. Maybe get your IT person to take a look at these steps and see if they can sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was in different folder. \\DESKTOP-*****\Users\***\AppData\Local

now working 🙂 thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you've figured it out by now, but in case you haven't, the account should go away on its own when you hit "Apply". I assume this is because its parent was deleted, but who am I to claim definite knowledge of Adobe's mysteries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a legend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem and can't remove that last Account Unknown. Any possible solutions to this would be amazing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEVERMIND. I clearly need more coffee because I typed before reading the whole thread. Advance settings looks to have fixed it! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me, too -- but then I clicked Apply and the last unknown account just disappeared all by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this happened to me, having deleted all but one, I clicked "Apply" and then the last AccountUnknown disappeared. And the Preview bug was gone, huzzah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit apply and it just disappeared when i had the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the last Account Unknown and check the DENY permissions boxes. Then you can remove Account Unknown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines