• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Cannot extract the embedded font" Some characters may not display or print correctly.

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this message keeps coming up: "Cannot extract the embedded font 'GLJYQU+News-Gothic-BTS-Bold'. Some characters may not display or print correctly." I have reinstalled the fonts and still bet this message. I use Acrobat to send X1A files all the time to printers and am tired of constantly having to outline all my fonts to send my files and it makes the files uneditable in case of a client last minute change on press. And sometimes even when I outline all the fonts I still see this warning. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Hi annetteS,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are getting above mentioned error when opening files in acrobat, is that correct?

This is an indication of corrupt embedded font in the PDF file. Refer to the following forum threads discussing the similar issue:

Adobe Reader DC: cannot extract embedded font "BKQYDZ+DejaVuSansCondensed"

Cannot extract the embedded font...

Cannot extract the embedded font error

Thanks,

Shivam

[Edited]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect a lot will see this.

I emailed Dov and he agrees that it could be related to the release, but stopped short of pinning it on Adobe.

He said he will look into it when he returns to his office the week after next (roughly Aug 26th).

For me, I think I can refer to these files using Chrome, or Microsoft Edge and they work fine...until a fix is pushed out.

-Randy-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been running into this issue starting this week. I was able to open the file fine until Monday on one computer system and today on my other. I am aware that the second computer system underwent a Windows 10 update, yesterday (not sure if that is related). The font with an issue is "KWYPKX+DINPro-Regular-Identity-H". It was a PDF provided to me, so I am not entirely sure what made it, but the "PDF Producer" (in properties) states "madbuild". Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 2019.012.20036.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"madbuild" means that it was produced by a MadCap Software product, it most cases that would be MadCap Flare or MadCap Doc-to-Help.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely must be fixed on Adobe's side, even if they work with MadCap to fix the way PDFs are generated by Flare. This is happening to all our customers who have received PDFs from us for the last 3+ years, if they have updated to the latest version of Reader.

There is absolutely no way, even if MadCap were to fix the issue on their end, that we can re-generate and distribute 3+ years worth of documents to all our customers. That solution is a non-starter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see my response from yesterday. Adobe is aware of the problem and is working to provide a fix that doesn't break other PDF files. We are not expecting anyone to recreate and redistribute their PDF files.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are working on the fix for the font issue and require as many PDF files having font issues to test it out. Request anyone having the issue to inbox me the PDF files.

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, send a private message via these forums to Vinod with a link pointing to where he may download files from. Vinod is a member of Acrobat Engineering and will forward the files to the groups working on fixing this problem as quickly and safely as possible. We need to avoid a fix that works for some files, but not others or that has even worse side effects.

Files provided to Adobe will be treated with total confidentiality.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dov,

I'm having same issues with font errors through Adobe files that my company has. They are private but here are the fonts hat are giving errors.ADOBE ERROR 1.PNGADOBE ERROR 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue as noted above - sending arial font but adobe giving above error sometimes.  Did you resolve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue!! 

Files that I created in July - seem to still work as expected. i.e no missing font error and text appears normal.

But other files created in January of this year have the same error as files created last week and today

If I open, PDF files created today using any other PDF viewer (i.e browser plug ins), content appears fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinod,

We had a similar issue with another font started from August 13th release.

Cannot extract the embedded font 'EAAAAA+NotoSansSC-Regular'. Some characters may not display or print correctly.

Note: Salesforce recommended font is "NotoSansSC" for any organization, who is operating globally.

-Venkat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinod,

Tried messaging you via this forum, but doesn't look like it's going through ("Save" gets disabled but no confirmation that the message was actually sent to you). ​I'm having the same font issue (started today) with the error "Cannot extract the embedded font 'RTSFYX+MyriadPro-Light-Identity-H'. Some characters may not display or print correctly." And then nothing displays in my PDF except for my form fills and recently edited text. Do you need my file to investigate this issue further, if so, could you please provide an email I can send my file to?

Thank you,

~Danielle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov or Vinod, did Adobe release a fix to this -- is it correct that users upgrade to latest version to avoid this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fix was indeed released within a week or so after the thread above, certainly no later than the end of August 2019.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sir

still I am suffering from this problem. how can I fix it?

the below error:

Cannot extract the embedded font'Cinema'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too, 'cannot extract the embedded font'Helveticaneue-Black' for me. 😞 looking for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How was the PDF file created? Platform (Windows, MacOS), OS version, application, etc.?

We do know that there are font issues with beta versions of MacOS 10.15.4 which you should not be using for production!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same problem, as of last Friday.

Vinod Dobhal, I've sent you a PM with a file link.

It seems it might be related to 'duplicate' fonts embedded in the PDF.

In our case, we use PDFReactor to autogenerate the PDF.

Acrobat preflight shows "Font name is not unique (60 matches on 1 page)", and under document information, lists the same font twice.

We'll look into what we can do to generate it differently, but Acrobat used to open them fine last week, and won't this week. (Note, Nitro, Sumatra and others open the files fine.) Our customers need to open the files we've previously sent them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, please! Roll back the release to the previous version until you can provide a fix. The previous version worked fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the installer for the previous version of Acrobat DC that worked properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're also seeing this issue all of a sudden, but with files produced by iTextSharp 5.5.13.1 which displayed fine a week ago;  I PMd a sample file to Vinod as requested.

Acrobat Pro 2017 CC - NA (17.011.30144)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this trouble with PDF generated via a proprietary library, which contains a subset font. Such files are correcly opened by other readers and used to be correcly opened by older versions of Acrobat reader. I would like to understand if I can workaround this issue by changing the way the font is embedded. I attach a very simple and short sample pdf if Don is willing to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have  to click on that big Share blue button that a lot of users in these forums consider annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case the problem is fairly simple. There is a syntax problem in the PDF file. Running the List Potential Font Problems in Preflight of Acrobat Pro DC yields the following diagnostic:

2019-10-31_11-16-42.png

There is apparently a problem with the “proprietary library” that you are using to generate this PDF file in terms of how it is embedding fonts.

Reader / Acrobat do in fact ignore some minor syntax and other errors encountered in PDF files when it is considered safe to do so. This apparently a situation where the error was a bit too extreme for Reader / Acrobat to consider it safe to ignore.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Don for pointing me on the right direction. Using an online preflight tool I realized the pdf had 2 problems: first, the StemV Key was missing from the font dictionary; second (which I think is the actual problem) the Length1 key was missing in the font stream dictionary. Setting both keys solved the problem.

Kind regards

Riccardo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines