• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Combine files in Acrobat..." Not Working

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently reinstalled Adobe Acrobat Pro DC when I got a new computer. Now, when I use the "Combine files in Acrobat..." function when selecting multiple PDF files, a new instance of Adobe Acrobat starts as though I clicked on the desktop shortcut, but no documents are combined or even present in the Adobe window. How do I fix this issue?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal, This is not limited to a paticular PDF it seems it has something to do with the option to open PDF's in their own windows instead of in tabs. It will work fine when combining files when I start using acrobat pro first thing in the morning and then after a little while it will just randomly start happening not matter which pdf's or other file types I try to combine using the context menu option to combine files. I have noticed there are two ways to get it to work when the issue starts happening, if any single PDF is opened but minimized I can either maximize that pdf then go to the files in explorer, right click for the context menu and click on combine files it will then work but only because it tries to combine the files as if it is opening a tab on the current maximized PDF I have open. The other way to get it to work is to close out of all open PDF's then go to the files in explorer, right click for the context menu and select combine files it will then work correctly. I have also noticed if I have more than just one single PDF open it will not work either (whether they are minimized or maximized) I will either need to close out of all PDF's except for one and then maximize that one PDF and then try to combine files using the context menu or I will have to just close out of all open PDF's and then try combining files by using the context menu to get it to work. I am currently on the most updated version of Acrobat Pro which shows as version 2024.001.20629 (which shows that it is actually a newer version than what you listed as the most recent version in your reply above). I have tried repairing the installation as well and that does not work and I have reset the preferences but all that does is re-enable the option to open PDF's as tabs instead of individual documents which I do not like (I often like to be able to compare two documents side by side or reorginize pages from one PDF to another by having them open side by side and going to organize pages on both and dragging certain pages from one to the other).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear that.

Please remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html , reboot the computer and reinstall the application using the direct link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html and see if that works.

If it still doesn't work, would you mind collecting the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html , Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html and share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

ive tried all the above and the combine pdf command just creates lots of individual pdfs and I get this;

E724A508-9109-4003-828A-94F796966312.jpeg

56DAF24C-9ABE-491E-B7D5-AEF7CA947E59.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get exactly the same thing. It worked fine for two weeks and my documents were combined properly, and then this weird page just comes up asking me to download Acrodat Reader for the best experience! Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat and Olufemi

Sorry to both of you for delay in response.

Pat, the reason why you see the suggestion to Get the Acrobat Reader DC to open PDF Portfolio is because, upon combining multiple files, you have combined them as Portfolio. So, a suggestion for having Adobe Reader for seamless experience of viewing those PDFs is legit.

There's a setting, which lets you uncheck this option and let you combine all the files as one combined PDF.

Combine Files> Options>uncheck Save as PDF Portfolio.

PDF portfolio.png

Olufemi5ED1 for you, I guess this is the same scenario. You have combined the files as PDF Portfolio and now its suggesting you to have Acrobat Reader to view/open those PDF files.

Uncheck this option and you are good to go.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you soo much I was able to resolve my isssue with this recommendation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this too, did not work for me.

Right clicking on files in Explorer and then clicking "Combining Files in Acrobat" does not work, unless Acrobat is already open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Late notice response, but I figured out a fix and wanted to share in case I forget next time it happens 🙂

I tried all of the repair, reinstall etc. suggestions, and in the end found a check box that fixed it for me.

In Adobe Acrobat DC (64 bit) > Edit > Preferences > General tab > Application startup>> TICK the 'Use only certified plugins' box. 

At some point I remember having to untick that to view encrypted ISO standards. As soon as I ticked that and restarted Adobe, voila. It worked! (I bet next time I try to open ISO standards, it won't let me! sigh).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this, did not work for me.

Right clicking on files in Explorer and clicking "Combining Files in Acrobat" does not work, unless Acrobat is already open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this issue get resolved.  We are having the same issue with random computers not all of them in our company,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue for me.

I believe it's confined to 64 bit OS/Software... maybe this is why it doesnt affect all users, and isnt a bigger problem that Adobe want to invest time to fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue, but even if my Adobe is open to the home screen, Combine Files from File Manager still does not work.  I have to click the button under tools to make it work.  I have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (32-bit).  It worked just fine until about 3 weeks ago.  For several weeks, I was getting an error that stated that service was not available on my account, however, I am a user on a corporate account.  My employer pays for full version of Adobe.  Also, when I log into my Adobe account it states that I am a free account and I need to purchase a paid service...so I am totally confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amanda, The 3 weeks timeframe is about the same as when I first noticed it. The problem involves specifically Microsoft Office application file like Word, as I can combine files that are already in PDF, or image file formats such as JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a similar issue, however, I have 32-bit version of Acrobat Pro (perpetual desktop). Have just updated to the latest August 2022 release, but to no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PolicyChick your solution worked for me, thanks!

I went to the control panel > Program and Features > Right click on Adobe, hit change > Repair

Then I ticked the "Use only certified plugin" box as stated above by PolicyChick 

Now when I right click on a group of PDFs and hit combine PDFs it opens Adobe AND brings me straight to the combine page.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having similar issues and have had better results when:

• Adobe Creative Cloud was updated and
  • Adobe Acrobat is already launched and running.
  • The other thing we noticed is that if One Drive is running, we would have to right click on the file and choose "Always Keep on this Device". If it was a cloud only file, we did not have the option to combine.
  • The support engineer I just spoke to was not even aware that you could right click on several files and choose "Combine files in Acrobat.."
  • He said that the recommended method is to Open Adobe Acrobat, Click Tools, and Combine files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am combining PDF files and select 2 (or any number of files to combine). The output is the first file repeated. The 2nd (and subsequent files) content is not in the combined PDF. So if file 1 and file 2 have 1 page each, the 1st page is file 1 and the 2nd page is file1! I have rebooted and it does not help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anju28774159eat3,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry about the delay in response.

Please let us know if it happens with any file you try to combine?

Are you combining just the PDFs or other format files?

Would you mind sharing the screen recording of the workflow?

Share the Acrobat and OS version numbers on the device.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact issue win 11 64, Acrobat is unable to combine nor convert single files to PDF, It's funny when you pay for a software and you have to use a free alternative to get the job done, Very poor assistance when it comes to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines