• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" pops up every time I open a PDF file

Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Adobe Acrobat quite often. Since Adobe STILL hasn't made a 64-bit version of Acrobat Pro for Windows, it has always been extremely slow and freezes constantly. I have wasted so much time waiting for it to catch up with my edits. I finally got fed up yesterday and followed the advice I found here that said I should reinstall it. 

Well now it is not only slow, but my workstation pops up the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device" dialog box EVERY SINGLE TIME I OPEN A PDF FILE! 

I've spent a good portion of today trying to fix this bug. The best suggestion I found was to reinstall it...

So I thought I'd ask here to see if any of you might have had a similar problem. Thanks in advance. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Thanks for the attempt to help "Test Screen Name" (Cool name). But I finally figured it out. For anyone who happens to have the same problem, this is what I did:

1.  Spend way too much time in a chat with an Adobe tech who was extremely clueless. He spent most of the time trying to change user permissions to the app. He even suggested I set my User Account Control setting to "Never Notify" so I would no longer be bothered by the notifications. Really, Adobe?!? Seriously? Removing UAC is a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version, exactly, of Acrobat Pro do you have? Like 2016.123.45678?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. Version 2021.011.20039

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the attempt to help "Test Screen Name" (Cool name). But I finally figured it out. For anyone who happens to have the same problem, this is what I did:

1.  Spend way too much time in a chat with an Adobe tech who was extremely clueless. He spent most of the time trying to change user permissions to the app. He even suggested I set my User Account Control setting to "Never Notify" so I would no longer be bothered by the notifications. Really, Adobe?!? Seriously? Removing UAC is a solution?
  2. Reinstall (again). Third time's a charm, they say. 
  3.  Finally notice that the Acrobat app icon shows a blue and yellow shield in the corner. Hard to see when the icon is tiny.
  4.  Ponder why that shield it there. (Never figured it out. I'm assuming from Windows Security.)
  5.  Google "blue and yellow shield on icon". Find info on steps 6 and 7 below. 
  6.  Right click the icon and choose Properties, and then choose the Compatability tab.
  7.  Unclick "Run this program as administrator".
  8.  Nope still didn't work. Hopefully I can fix that hole I just punched in the wall. 
  9.  Desperately click the "Run compatibility troubleshooter" on the Compatability tab in a last ditch attempt before I decide Adobe's software and epically useless support isn't worth the money and start looking for where to download GIMP. 
  10.  Success!!! Only a couple of days of useless work to get back to where I started. Thanks Adobe! You think we can actually bring Acrobat into the 21st century and get a 64-bit version at some point?
  11.  Come back here and write a sarcastic reply to my post with the hope it might help someone else. Or at least put a small grin on someone's face.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, best response, honestly.
I tried all the useless steps you mentioned, too, only thing to fix was to "Run compatibility troubleshooter" option. Thing was doing my head in for days, even affecting windows explorer...
Thank you, Sir. I salute you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TDPixxie,

Good to hear that your issue was fixed. This message is displayed when the application triggers administrative control requests to the User Account Control and, thus, the dialog box.

Going to Properties and then unclicking the option "Run this program as administrator" should fix it. BUT, to complete the step, a restart of the computer is needed. 

The restart refreshes the user permissions and the background on which the application had been running previously.

Hope this clarifies the point.

-Souvik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jamesd76274918 wrote:

You think we can actually bring Acrobat into the 21st century and get a 64-bit version at some point?

Hi James,

64-bit installer:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/download-64-bit-installer.html

Migration

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/about-acrobat-reader-dc-migration-to-64-bit.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>Since Adobe STILL hasn't made a 64-bit version of Acrobat Pro for Windows...

These are the DC versions and may not be available in your area:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/download-64-bit-installer.html

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally found the solution 😁

After trying all the fixes mentioned in comments i realised that I don't have enough patience to keep trying different hacks so I installed Foxit reader and voilla, it worked like charm 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines