• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit." Running Mac OS Catalina.

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I know this issue was raised before but I cannot seem to get an answer. I've installed MacOS Catalina and keep getting this error message and acrobat crashes. i cannot read any of my documents. 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Hi,

Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update containing the fix for this issue is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. If you want, you may also manually trigger the update by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

More information about this release is here: Release notes 

Please try it out and let us know your feedback. Thanks for your patience and support!

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

painful... still havent solved my problem...still "There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update containing the fix for this issue is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. If you want, you may also manually trigger the update by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

More information about this release is here: Release notes 

Please try it out and let us know your feedback. Thanks for your patience and support!

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking for updates SHOULD found under the preferences than under help.  I’ve seen many ask where could they find it; not everyone that uses this program is a pro and know all the ins and outs of it.  I followed the instructions from another person in the community that solved the problem, when I did the check up it said that it was all up-to-date so I’m not sure if that did work or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a screenshot of what you've observed.

I am not able to understand where in the Preferences this up to date information is found.

It is a standard in the software application industry (to include web browsers) to have the users find their product latest version information by clicking on "Help" which belongs to the File Menu toolbar ( from top to bottom it is usually the second toolbar from the Title Bar in every windowed enviroment regardless of desktop operating systems and web browsers make).

When you click on Help if you scroll down there is also an option listed "About Acrobat", for example.

Clicking or selecting this option will pop up a dialogue box window with the information about that software application.

Another way to find out what you are installing in a system is to check the release notes from the vendor and manually download the latest updated version(if provided) from the vendors support web site.

And last, every installation progran or Setup.exe program (if on a windows environment) also is accompanied by a ReadMe text file with important release notes from the developer(s).

But from observing a few issues that users are addressing daily in these support forums, I think it is confusing when the user is not able to distinguish which program is actually handling the automatic updates in their system:

• Is it the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App ?
  • Or is it the actual individual application?

So if you don't mind my long reply, can you elaborate or share a screenshot that may illusttate better what you meant.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really!  On Macs/Apple when clicking on the programs title, on the toolbar, is were the peference is like all programs/apps do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,  you're entirely correct. I stand corrected and thank you for spotting that.

What I am referring to, however,  is the active application window, in this case for Adobe Acrobat.

As the new macOS 10.15 dropped 32bit application support and move forward with 64bit, some features may or may not work well.

Preferences is now handled a little different like you've pointed out, it is a new hidden feature, but it is a system-wide operating system feature, and a window manager desktop display user preference that can still be customized for expediency.

That said, apps that are searched using the Help menu in the top task bar can also show results that  appear nested, or tagge in combination with Edit, and also, some applications will have a tendency to open in full screen mode; hiding their own Menu Toolbar. 

Shift+Command+M switches on/off the application from opening in full screen mode (F9 for MS Windows).

So, to clarify, a user that opens Adobe Acrobat in macOS Catalina should be able to see the Help menu of the Acrobat DC  application when it is active as the main window (same for all other applications opened that becomes active or on top of all other tasks); this is where the latest info about update version is universally found and this the guidance that Vinod was providing in his reply.

I apologize if my prior extensive reply  verbage was taken as arrogant, was not my intent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moments ago, I uplpaded Adobe Acrobat and CC. However, an error message indicating a "RAISE without a handler" appears when I open pdf docs. Subsequently, the pdf closes, the app crashes. I then installed the recommended November 13 MAC updates for Catalina. Nevertheless, the same error message continues to plague my attempts to open pdf docs. I have not tried to open any other documents using the CC app. My primary concern is pdfs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

That is strange, that RAISE without handler issue was addressed specifically for Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and Adobe Reader DC respectively in that particular update for November.

I am wondering then, if it would be convenient to completely uninstall the CC Desktop app and the Adobe Acrobat products using the cleanup and repair tools for Acrobat https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html and the CC desktop app  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Additional steps here: https://www.techjunkie.com/uninstall-creative-cloud-mac/

It is very important to follow the steps provided in those links.

Now, the way I would do this is as follows:

• If the CC Desktop app is the cause of this issue, then, without it  running in the background, you should be able to successfully install this product and no lockdowns, lagging, or freezes;  once you are able to open your Acrobat Pro DC, logging with your current AdobeID for that subscription to activate it;  then test opening any PDF you were trying before and no error(s) should occur.

• However, if the problem persists after a fresh install like the above method suggests, then you may have to look further and uninstall any additional extensions and/or  addons that you had configured in your macOS before, and that were meant  for the old installation to work with. You may have to remove these too and reconfigure with your new installation of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines