• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduce file size Acrobat X

Enthusiast ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened to the Document > Reduce File Size command that used to be in Acrobat 9?

For that matter, I don't see the PDF Optimizer command either.

What are the methods used in Acrobat X to reduce file size?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Yes, choose "File > Save As > Optimized PDF...", as opposed to "File > Save As > Reduced Size PDF...".

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Reader 9, and I don't have the "Save As" option under File.

Any other suggestions??

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Reader 9, and I don't have the "Save As" option under File.

Any other suggestions??

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader can't reduce file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bernd Alheit, Test Screen Name and greenlands14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you ask for a suggestion, I suggest you buy Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been struggling with this one for a while, finally found somewhat of a solution though this might have been mentioned before somewhere above.

Reduce you PDF down using the Reduced Size PDF...function in Acrobat, save it as a Word doc then open it in Word and save as PDF (making sure to select the 'Optimize for: Minimum Size' option before you click Publish).

Long winded yes, but it took my 32mb PDF down to 4mb. Worth noting that I went with saving it as a Microsoft PDF for this, choosing the Adobe PDF option within Word made it around 8mb so both options are useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to "Save as.. --> Reduced File Size" using Adobe Acrobat XI and all it does is freeze....

So now, Im stuck with a slow file to scroll around and zoom...  Its only 2.3MB yet it acts like its 1,000,000,000,000GB

Thanks for nothing Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably gonna lose my job since I cant scroll around this pdf without ridiculously long delays....  No help.  Not in the help file, online help or here in the forums.....  I guess if you purchase a product then youre on your own nowadays............  Once again, Thanks for NOTHING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

".....processing images"

this seems like it could take hours and hours and hours and hours.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not responding.......  as usual....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have two problems - very slow scrolling, and hanging on reduce file size? That could be because the file is made with thousands of tiny images. In such cases, files are very large, and reduce file size (which will probably finish eventually) won't be able to reduce.

Did you make this PDF? If so, how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is 5 years old and shows as first result in Google. The answer is totally outdated, because Adobe Reader 11 DOESN'T support the option anymore in the standard version. There's no possibility to reduce the size of PDFs with Adobe PDF Reader. Great job guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are confused about products. The question, and all the answers, are about Acrobat. That is Acrobat Pro and Acrobat Standard. You now mention Adobe Reader 11. This is already outdated since we have Acrobat Reader DC. However, no version of the free Reader has ever had options to reduce the size of PDFs. This has always been only in the software that is sold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes you're right. Thank you for the clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Test Screen Name I'm using Acrobat Reader DC (just signed in) and I still can't figure out where the save optimized feature is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned above, this feature is not available in the free Reader (confusingly now called "Acrobat Reader"), only in the paid version of the application, called only "Acrobat".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thing is, I don't use the "free" version. I pay every month.

I figured it out though. Turns out Adobe saw fit to install both an Acrobat Reader DC and an Adobe Acrobat DC on my computer. One of them let's me edit files, one doesn't.

Not saying you're wrong. It's just that the way you and others keep saying "the free reader" might make other paying customers confused like I was - ("I don't have the free version, so this doesn't apply to me.")

I'm not blaming you. You've been helpful. Adobe's at fault here for the ambiguous product branding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you wrote that you were using "Acrobat Reader DC", so I assumed that's what you were using...

But you're right, it happens very frequently now that people get confused between Reader and Acrobat because of the stupid decision to rename the former.

Adobe says they have their reasons for doing so, but I still haven't heard what those reasons are, and in the meantime it's ruining the brand name of Acrobat (and Reader) and causing unnecessary confusion for the users, in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2016 Nov 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, tonim44985624, you are not using the paid-for Acrobat Professional X/XI/DC app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having difficulties to find out how to remove embeded fonts in Adobe Acrobat X Pro. I removed it before, but forgot how to do it. I wanted to use "File > Save as > Reduced Size PDF" inside Acrobat, but nothing would happen after clicking it.

However, the sollution was to remove embeded fonts inside Lifecycle designer, not inside Acrobat, using "File > Form Properties" and then inside "Save options" fold uncheck "Embed Fonts".

This is the thread that helped me:

Shrink pdf optimize not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm digitizing book(creating PDF from jpg images). There are 200+ pages and my final pdf is very huge. Let's take this book for example - excellent quality and extremely low file size. How I can get such a result with Adobe Acrobat 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file you linked to is corrupt... Try opening the File's Properties and you'll see that something is off.

Anyway, this file is 14.5mb for 252 pages, which means each page is about 57kb... Not huge, but not very small, either. You can play with you scanner settings until you reach a size that works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download it manually from here by clicking PDF. How to check it's compression(dpi and other) properties?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2017 Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option to try is to "SANITIZE DOCUMENT", this changed my simple 1 page document from 10MB to 177KB.  TOOLS>PROTECTION>SANITIZE DOCUMENT 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found that my new suite of Office apps (365) now each have a new option to Convert to Pdf or Make Pdf, but when I use that new option, I get a pdf that does not respond to Reduce File Size, no reduction is achieved.  But if I use Print to Pdf, the old-fashioned way, which is still available, I get a pdf that will reduce in size when I choose File > Save As Other > Reduced Size.  Good luck to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines