• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reducing file size, need help with options

Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any options other than 'flattening' (refrying) that could reduce the file size?  I'll explain...

We have fillable PDF forms (timesheets) which are digitally signed.  Other departments are flattening them before saving into our central filing system by clicking Print and selecting Adobe.  I believe the term is 'refrying'.  The reason is to reduce the file size and our IT Dept wants to save space.  However, the contents can't be searched, plus the signatures are not valid.  That's a problem.

However, I created a form for our department which I set up to lock the fields with the last digital signature.  I don't flatten my forms as explained above and the contents are searchable.  The file size is is 2-4 MB and there's about 15-20 a day.

Is there something I can apply to the original document, like another 'flatten' option?  I've seen this.flattenPages() but I'm not sure how it works or where it would be applied.  We need to be able to make edits before the fields are locked with the final signature.

I've researched but so far I can't find a simple solution, or if there even is one. 

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can save the pdfs as optimized pdfs (File> Save as other), by selecting the Discard Objects, Discard user data and Clean up options (keeping only the things you need) you can usually reduce the size. You can also create an Action, which can apply the optimize settings to a folder of pdfs. Here are links to related discussions:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-compress-pdf-files/m-p/11700727

and 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/optimizing-files/m-p/9244270#M62975

That said, a web-based solution might be more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines