• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Runtime error 53 when using Microsoft Word and Powerpoint

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help!  Been on the phone 3x with Adobe staff, 12 hours on this Runtime Error 53 Visual Basic MACPDFM. Adobe has been helpful in doing a temporary fix (they acknowledge it's an issue ADOBE has) but then the problem continues to come back for Microsoft Word and Powerpoint. 

Does any user or Adobe customer have a solution that is PERMANENT or is this something I will need to live with this error every time I open a word or ppt file?

Seeking "HOW TO", "GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING" guidance from the experts

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2023 Jan 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please vote here, if you have the same problem with PDFMaker :

https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/45577624-adobe-a...

I guess we will have to deal with this bug until 6/1/2025 😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a temporary solution and that is within the Microsoft Word and Powerpoint products go into TOOLS, templates and Add-ins and Uncheck the Global Template and Add-ins if it's checked (*usually is as that is the generator of the error message).   Another option is to do a Full System Search on that "named template add-in" and DELETE the item.  This should solve the issue.   Best of luck and I fully agree that Adobe should address this problem sooner, 2025 is really an unreal response, imho. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2023 Dec 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

M2 Mac Studio Ultra running macOS Sonoma 14.2. I've read through every thread I can find on the internet and tried every solution etc. till I found one that worked.

Long story short. Acrobat Pro 2017 works about 95% over Sonoma but the Text Tool in the Editor does not. Adobe Support tells me to update to 2020 so I pay the money and did. The exact condition continues and Adobe spends three days deleting, uninstalling both 2017 & 2020, reinstalling and on and on without solving the issue. In the middle of all this, I find an Adobe memo stating that the Text Tool is a known issue and has not been fixed. Ok... waiting on Adobe.

Today, I open Word to get the "Runtime Error -53 … MacPDFM". I reinstall Office, Acrobat 2020, do a Safe Boot, call Apple to tell them their instructions are wrong (yes, really) send in screen shots and whatnot. I see the library sitting exactly in the path where all the Support docs say it should be, BTW.

Finally having run out of ideas, I reinstall Acrobat Pro 2017 back onto my Mac.

Bingo!

Why do I need both Acrobat Pro 2017 & 2020 to fix my problem with Office? I do not know, nor do I care. Anyway, Acrobat Pro is still broken over Sonoma but Word is good again and I can get back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines