Exit

Save As PDF/X adds black smudge outline around everything

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 - Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 32-bit Version: 21.5.20060.443953

I created 2 PNG files in Adobe Spark.

I Combined both PNG files into a Singe PDF.

I did SAVE AS --> PDF/X

And the entire "Press Ready" PDF has black smudge outlines around every single thing on this PDF

(see attached).

This PDF is a postcard that we need to print and mail.

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this please - we're on a deadline! THANK YOU!

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF/X doesn't allow transparency which you're using in your PDF. Use the Preflight Plugin to check a PDF against a PDF standard and apply fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for replying. I'm sorry to sound so ignorant, but I do not understand what you're referring to? Could you kindly take a minute to explain step by step what you're telling me to do? Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goto [Tools] and select [Print Production]. There you'll find the Preflight tool, which has tons of profiles to test PDF files for specific scenarios. There's a PDF/X area. Open it and select a test that matches you requirements, the click [test], to see, if you PDF is ok or has to be fixed to conform with PDF/X. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/analyzing-documents-preflight-tool-acrobat.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you say "black smudges", do you mean the black area around elements as shown here -

TestScreenName_0-1629364605873.png

These look more like artefacts to me. But I think your problem is that you've used a tool not made for print design (Spark), saved in an utterly unsuitable format (PNG) and then made a PDF. Saving as a press-ready PDF at the end can't fix it, and probably isn't what added this damage.

At least try saving the PDF from Spark if you must use Spark. It's a feature of the web version of Spark apparently, but I don't have high hopes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines