Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SERIOUS ADOBE ACROBAT PROFESSIONAL 8 ERROR

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2007 Jun 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using (or TRYING to use!) Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.
But every time it loads up I receive the following pop-up message:

"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please re-install the application and try again."

I click OK, and then another message appears:
"Acrobat.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x05bf1243" referenced memory at "0x12284e88". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program"

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but the error comes back!
What can I do?? Can ANYONE help?!!
TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 398 Replies 398
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2008 Aug 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
For windows 2003, i had same issue running as administrator.
I renamed
D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat8.0\Acrobat\AdobeUpdater.dll8.0\Acrobat\AdobeUpdater.dll file to D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat8.0\Acrobat\AdobeUpdater.dll8.0\Acrobat\AdobeUpdater.dllxx

and now the C++ runtime error got disappeared.

Enjoy...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 09, 2008 Aug 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without sounding cynical or patronizing, why not install Acrobat Pro 9 and solve your problems that way? I never installed Acrobat Pro 8 on my systems because of all the problems reported in this loooooong thread. I upgraded from Acrobat Pro 7 to Acrobat Pro 9 instead. I have had any problems with Acrobat Pro 9 whatsoever.

BTW, I upgraded Acrobat Reader 7 to REader 8.1 also with no problems. Following Adobe's advice, I just made sure that I did not have Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Pro (in any combination of versions) installed on the same system.

Ken Friedman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2008 Aug 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beware. I tried to install Acrobat 9. First it made me uninstall Acrobat 8. Then when I installed Acrobat 9 all hell broke loose. After 14 hours, I tried to re-install Acrobat 8, which failed with error messages listed above. I tried Windows XP system restore which messed things up even more. I don't suggest trying to solve your problems by installing Acrobat 9. More money down the drain. I spent over 12 hours Saturday and 4 today before giving up and enjoying what was left of my weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2008 Aug 21, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe acrobat professional restart automatically give me solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2008 Oct 03, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps my Acrobat 8 Professional reinstallation problem is related...

AFAIK, back before my external hard drive failed, installing from the CD and registering Acrobat on a Vista partition caused no problem. However, the external drive with the installation failed two days ago, and now I am unable to reinstall (or uninstall) Acrobat 8.

Each time I try, I get this Windows Installer message when using the CD (or transferring the data to the hard drive):
"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package."

So what do I do from here?

Reading this results of other's installation problems on Vista don't leave me every encouraged.

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tryed what #361 said and didn't worked for me. Too bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am on Windows Vista and I am using CS3 suite.
I did not have the issue when I first installed it, but after a little while (3 months), all that is described in this tread started "happening". Acrobat would stop after a couple of minutes, Serious error message prompt, and all the other adobe programs would not close unless we killed them. Accrotray.exe alerts started showing
as well, although to this day, I cannot tell if this is related.

Here are some of my notes :
"A Fix for Adobe Reader 8.0" (Post #353) is no longer online (dead link)
Post #343 worked FINE for me. I am now stuck with Acrobat 8 (since I disabled the updater) but hey...
And to Matthew (Post #358 and a lot more): Thanks for your help. There a a LOT more people affected by this since this tread started... I, myself, know 4 colleagues in my area only !

Good luck to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2008 Nov 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I too am having issues with Adobe Acrobat 8 that came with CS3. For about a year I was able create pdfs from anyting and recent, when it kept trying to install Acrobat 8.1.3 I am no longer able to create any pdf's.

I've tried everything from using the installation CD to repair the error and to trying the upgrade 8.1.3 but after it finishes and restarts my acrobat is still 8.0. Now when I try to create a PDF it is basically cancelled my conversion process so that nothing happens. What annoyed me was that I was able to create a pdf yesterday and today, I am unable to do anything.

I've called the technical support and after giving my information to verify that I had a legitamate copy the tech asked for money before helping me any further. I am annoyed that I paid 2000 for my program last year and now I have to pay another 40 to people who do not speak fluent English and blame me for having a quiet phone. What is wrong with my program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2008 Nov 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same problems as you all. I have had maginal temporary success with the repair installation process but it seems to be temporary. I'm using XP pro on a 1 year old dell machine. I'm an avid updater so everything is up to par, theroretically. I bought CS3 from Journey Ed. com as a student at the JC. Acrobat Pro 8 has not been very stable from the getgo and I'm mostly disappointed in it's performance. The email archiving to PDF never worked and it has crashed out due to memeory issues consitantly. Now that I upgraded to the 8.1 I'm having the same activation issues, having to stop work and go thru this 20 min process of repair and reboot. I think Adobe has some great products and certainly you would think after all this time and millions of dollars in profits that a major software release problem would be somewhat of a priority unless of course you don't care about your customer base. I am certainly hesitant to move to CS4 at this juncture.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2009 Jan 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll jump in here with my update problem with Acrobat Pro 8. I tried to go to 8.3.1 via a msg from Adobe after I had fired up Acrobat. The update failed, and I've tried quite a few ways to reinstall or repair it. I noticed Matthew Hamann's remarks about using CCleaner, so used it. Interesting program. I found I had maybe 40-50 registry items to be fixed. None seemed related to Adobe. It ended up fixing one problem despite my requesting all. It didn't help. Further suggestions in using CC or how to get this product off my machine or fixed. I cannot use Acrobat now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2009 Jan 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely when I revisited the Adobe tech support suggestions, the use of msiexec now worked. My previous attempt to use it resulted in messages about bad install. Maybe CClean did fix some registry problem.

I have now re-installed from my CD 8.1.2 (I vaguely recall seeing that version #. Unfortunately, there seems no way to tell unless I go to Add/Remove.). It now works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2009 Jan 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely remove Adobe Acrobat 8 from Add Remove program. Ensure that remnants of Adobe Acrobat 8 are deleted from Program files.

Restart the Computer, reinstall it, and once again restart the computer.

This is the standard method of eliminating error in the installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2009 Jan 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem with Acrobat 8. It loads, then a few seconds later, it changes to 'Not responding' for about a minute or more. Then it recovers.
This is on a workstation that is not connected to any network, but it standalone secure workstation. Files are shuttled in and out via USB memory sticks only.
Is there a way to tweak it so it doesn't hang the machine for so long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2009 Feb 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a 32 bit 4GB PC w/ XP SP2 and now Adobe Acrobat 8.1.3 on it. I am trying to save a 43MB PDF as a plain text file

Export -> More Formats -> Text (plain) from the menu bar at top

The PDF document is large at 5568 pages and I get a couple of different errors:

Faulting application acrobat.exe, version 8.1.0.137, faulting module makeaccessible.api, version 8.1.0.137, fault address 0x00034876

With this error above I am definitely crossing the 2GB RAM boundary when I get the error. But honestly why does Acrobat need 2 GB of RAM to export a file to plain Text ????? This smells like a really bad memory leak IMHO. I actually can "Page Pass:" all 5568 pages but then after that the RAM consumption goes sky-high and then it dies with that infamous dialog that you all report.

I also received a different error which is same as above though it references ntdll.dll as in:

faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000188fa

in various call stack outputs from VS2005 it shows ntdll.dll calls makeaccessible.api which then calls itself ?recursively until it dies.. in other words ntdll.dll and makeaccessible.api are always one above the other in the call stack if that helps you folks at Adobe if your listening

The ntdll.dll error doesn't occur at the 2GB RAM line but this error happens at only ~ 1.1 GB. But I'd still argue that there is a memory leak somewhere in this case as well. MY document is 44 MB - come on - how large is Acrobat 8 ???

So I follow what "Self Help" directions I could find and use 'msconfig' to disable nearly everything except my Symantec virus scanner and I also unplugged both GB network interfaces as well and the issue *STILL* happens.

About 3 weeks ago I was on the phone with the Adobe tech support and they were the ones who told me about unplugging the network interface.
That allowed my 8.1.2 Acrobat to convert a 40 MB PDF into TXT and it worked... They didn't charge my credit card for the call but for the price I paid for this you'd think they have an update or a fix for something like this. This is just bad or non-existent QA .. Their answer was we only support Acrobat 9 sir and you would need to buy that to get your free incident support. This is poor support IMHO as most vendors support current rev plus 1 rev back - so why not Adobe ?

unhappy customer looking for other options
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I want to THANK the person that posted this link:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750

INDEED!

I have been round the install/repair/uninstall mulberry bush WAY too many times. I suspected it was something small, as all the installers worked without a hitch, but the app always hung within a second of launching.

Such a SIMPLE fix! Acrobat Pro 8.1.3 now up & running on Vista 64!

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2009 Mar 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All!
So this morning my entire Adobe Creative Suite which includes Acrobat Professional 8.0 went down in flames! The Acrobat would shut down and give the error you all are speaking of and the design software said that the licensing had stopped working.

I called tech support and they actually fixed it! This is what you do...

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD | CUT AND PASTE THE PCD.DB FILE ONTO YOUR DESKTOP IN A DO NOT DELETE THESE FILES FOLDERS THAT YOU CREATE.

THEN...

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet | CUT AND PASTE INTO THAT SAME FOLDER YOU CREATED ON YOUR DESKTOP THE adobe_00080000_tsf.data FILE

SHUT YOUR SYSTEM DOWN AND THEN TURN IT BACK ON...DO NOT RESTART.

YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY HAVE TO RE-ENTER YOUR SERIAL NUMBER LIKE I DID. ONCE YOU DO AND YOU ARE REGISTERED, SHUT DOWN YOUR SYSTEM AGAIN AND TURN IT BACK ON.

YOU ARE NOW FIXED!

Please feel free to email me with any questions!
ynaranjo@leetem.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2009 Mar 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I want to open .pdf files with Adobe Acrobat 8.1.3,Adobe Flash Player Plugin set up start and nothing happened after that,I can`t view .pdf file.
Adobe Flash Player Plugin set up details:
Execute:˝C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin.exe˝
Extract:NPSWF32.dll
Extract:NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe
Extract:flashplayer.xpt
Created uninstaller:C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\uninstall_plugin.exe
Completed

Before everything worked,I have installed Adobe Flash Player 10Plugin and Adobe Flash Player 10ActiveX Controls.What to do run Adobe Acrobat again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Like the rest of you, I had the "memory could not be written" error.  Acrobat was essentially useless.  I tried all of the fixes outlined in the hundreds of previous posts and nothing worked for me. This has been a very frustrating problem for a long time, and I'd more or less given up on ever getting it fixed.  I recently moved to Greece from the US, and (stupidly) didn't think to bring my software discs with me, so uninstalling and reinstalling was not an option.

But I stumbled onto a way to fix it!

I'm running Win XP SP2.  Don't know if this will work for Vista, but I suspect it will.

I fired up Acrobat, and in the few seconds before it crashed, I quickly clicked on "check for updates" (under "help").  The process started, and Acrobat crashed, as usual.  However, the update process continued, and was successful.  I was prompted to re-start my computer.  I did, and lo!  Everything works perfectly!

I had to be pretty quick to launch the update before the main program crashed, but once it engages, it seems to be a separate program that's not affected by whatever was gumming up the main Acrobat program.  I guess whatever was wrong with 8.1 is now fixed in the updates.  I updated a half hour ago, and it's now version 8.2.2, and working just fine.

This worked for me.  I hope it works for some of you.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2010 Apr 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is probably easier to download the updates directly from Adobe.com>downloads>updates and install them locally, rathter than with the updater. In that case you would not have had to start Acrobat and hope you were fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CS3. A couple of months ago I got an error message," Licensing for this product has stopped working .You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling this product."  So I uninstalled the program and tried to reinstall it with no success. THAT WAS A MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I called Agobe and the first person scolded me for removing it. I asked to speak to the supervisor and she said she woudl send me instructions on how to fix it. One of which required using a removal tool from Microsoft. However, that tool was removed from Microsoft's website b/c of problems. So I called back in and the guy told me they no longer support CS3. That answer did not sit well with me. The error was something on their side.  I called back in about three different times before I found someone that would help me. We spent three hours on the phone before I could actually get the program installed and working without any errors.  However, during the install I saw something about Acrobat. I questioned the tech who had me open a PDF.  No problem. That worked fine. HOWEVER, i'm trying to print a document NOW to the PDF driver and I get a message that I need to activate my application.  Both activate and deactivate are greyed out.  I have google the error. I see all kinds of lists of things to try, but frankly I am petrified to even touch the application b/c photoshop is working, but I really need the PDF drive to print. I'm running Vista Business SP2. For a program that cost so much money how is it that there can be these type of errors and it looks like they have not fixed them in newer versions of the software.  What should I do to fix this? I spend countless hours last time trying to get the program installed and that was before I found the helpful tech. Does anyone know what will work without just trying everything first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe,

I"m running AA v8.3.1 and when clicking on a .PDF file, I get the Serious Error message which declairs that I should fix v8.1.3 (this is NOT a typo). I've reinstalled multiple times but no luck. I'm running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.

Additionally, when I single or double click on the filename I get the error message.

I cannot even click on the filename to change the name since Adobe locks up the file to make it in use.

Interestingly, I can right-click on the filename and change it sometimes, but at other times my system is just timing away doing nothing, and not letting me do anything (but a shutdown & reboot)..

I can, without a problem, start AA from the right-click, Open with, and it works perfectly.

This appears to be a file name or file in use, control problem. Leftover parts of v8.1.3 are locking up my files.

Adobe, please release me, and my files.

Assistance appreciated,

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2012 Feb 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, no one has gotten AA8 to work on a Win 7, 64-bit machine. They have been successful on a 32-bit machine. As far as updates, just download them from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I know this thread is old about 4 years but I recently ran into this issue of installing Adobe Acrobat 8 on a windows 7 64bit sp1.  In the past we have installed Adobe X but there are authentication issues causing Adobe not to open pdfs.  I then upgraded my clients to Adobe DC to find there are printing issues unless you upgrade to Windows 8 and higher.  Low and behold I have came back to Adobe Acrobat 8 that always works and is reliable.  I will give you the rundown to install Adobe Acrobat 8 on a Windows 7 64 bit.

First, if you have any traces of Adobe on your computer uninstall them with ccleaner which you can download from piriform website. Also use the Acrobat cleaner tool version 9.0 to remove any traces of Adobe from the machine link her  http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html  Restart your machine.

Second delete the Adobe folder from the Program Files - if it says Adobe delete it.

Third, here it gets tricky open regedit and search for Adobe Acrobat 8 - delete all entries that contain Adobe Acrobat 8.  Run ccleaner again and clean the registry and use the cleaner tool.  Now you should have nothing containing adobe in the program files or from the tools options in ccleaner.  Run a restart.

Next use your installer to install Adobe depending what version you have (Adobe 8.2.4 this is the version I have.)  Once installation is complete you should see the activation tab under help.  If you get a "serious error occurs" uninstall Adobe 8 Acrobat and look for any entries you have skipped on regedit.  Run ccleaner again and clean the registry and any traces of Adobe to be safe.

After this you should be able to upgrade to Adobe 8.3.1 without issue.

Note: If your're building a win7 from scratch you should'nt have any problems installing Adobe 8.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines