• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Show only .pdf files when browsing "other file storage" (SharePoint)

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that when doing 'Add file storage" for SharePoint (perhaps also for the others, like OneDrive and Dropbox, which I didn't try) that it shows many more files than just .pdf ones, even though you can't actually open them, just download. I'd rather it not show those. Is there a way? Similar to how you can when using File/Open (note there that it defaults to .pdf).

Using the latest version of Acrobat and Acrobat Reader on Windows.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

++ EDITED REPLY, rephrase an explanation 4th paragraph (from top to bottom).

How are you able to browse cloud documents from Acrobat without using File => Open?

Seems like you are referring to the section "Other file storage".

If this is the case don't use that method.

Having the settings configured as I've suggested works for me with OneDrive when using Open => File => OneDrive online folder from the Adobe Acrobat program ( not by going to the Home workspace and clicking directly  over

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Yes, "Other file storage," which is a list of all the sites you've added. You see the same thing in File/Open, which is why I was surprised that File/Open does filter out the other files, bit it must be written to do so  Otherwise, the two areas look all but identical. That's OK, I'll try to encourage people to use File/Open.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In Acrobat (on Microsoft Windows) when you go to Edit => Preferences => General , you must enable "Show online storage when opening files".

Having that option enabled in Acrobat will only show "Adobe PDF Files (*.pdf)"  by default when you use File => Open.

It will only show other file types if the user manually selects "All Files (*.*)" from a file explorer dialog window.

Conversely if you have enabled "Show online storage when saving files", it will show "Convert to" file type options if that is the intent, but clicking on a specific folder will bring back the file explorer window dialog defaulted to "Adobe PDF Files (*.pdf)" in the section "Save as type".

If this not what you are inquiring about you may try to find a similar settings preference directly from your cloud service app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an interesting option, and somehow it does do the job for File/Open, but unfortunately it has no effect on when you're browing the files without using File/Open. That is, when you click whatever storage you've added over on the left side (under "Other file storage"), such as a SharePoint site. That's the way most use the UI here.

Changing it on the cloud side wouldn't have any bearing on this since it's a function of the client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++ EDITED REPLY, rephrase an explanation 4th paragraph (from top to bottom).

How are you able to browse cloud documents from Acrobat without using File => Open?

Seems like you are referring to the section "Other file storage".

If this is the case don't use that method.

Having the settings configured as I've suggested works for me with OneDrive when using Open => File => OneDrive online folder from the Adobe Acrobat program ( not by going to the Home workspace and clicking directly  over on the left side  "Other file storage" as you've pointed out).

It only displays pdf files regardless of MS Word documents or other file types already saved in those same folders.

However, if you are saving to the OneDrive cloud folders via "Save As" from the Adobe Acrobat  program it will show all file types as you navigate through them.

As I was reading in some Microsoft support forums, this could be a design behavior of how the Sharepoint/OneDrive clients interface with other hosts programs (like Acrobat), it doesn't seem to be exclusive of Adobe Acrobat.

It happens with web browser too and there is no current workaround to modify what file types to view only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, "Other file storage," which is a list of all the sites you've added. You see the same thing in File/Open, which is why I was surprised that File/Open does filter out the other files, bit it must be written to do so  Otherwise, the two areas look all but identical. That's OK, I'll try to encourage people to use File/Open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I was kind of confused to note your same observation, but I was reading in a Microsoft Sharepoint forum some users being upset with not having the ability to filter PDFs only.

However if you are accessing OneDrive or Sharepoint via web browser, and let's say, for example, that you click on the "App Launcher" icon => Microsoft 365 => My content => All => Filter

This method will allow the users to filter file types (in this case just PDFs).

And if you go to the More Options menu  (...) in Microsoft 365 (https://www.office.com/mycontent?auth=1), select OneDrive and go back to the Microsoft 365 landing page.

OneDrive will appear in the "Recently opened" section => click on the newly added OneDrive tab ==>> select filter ==>> PDF.

This last method only works with the web browser on the Microsoft 365 web page but it will have no effect while accessing OneDrive in your web browser or through the Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines