Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text issue on acrobat

Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

a question: I need to make some minor changes to a pdf, which is in century gothic sans-serif  typeface.

For whatever reason I thought this was a standard, but I don't find it in Acrobat. Did not worry that much, I downloaded a new version, installed it... it shows in all apps but in Acrobat.

Am i doing something wrong? Weirdest thing is that when I select the part of text that I have to change, it correctly shows on the layout that it is a century gothic. So I change the content and it automatically converts to another standard, can't remember if helvetica or what. No biggie, ok, I can go manually change it, right?

Wrong, as century gothic does not appear in my list of fonts. Any advice?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Whether the font is embedded in the PDF already is irrelevant. Embedded fonts are NOT used for editing.. you HAVE to have the font available on your system.

If you have indeed installed Century Gothic, it should be available to you to edit. Where did you "download" the font from? and how did you install it? Make sure you have restarted Acrobat, or have rebooted.. Sometimes a newly installed font is not available immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flora,

Unless the font was embeded into the document when it was original made, it can't be done. Apparently it was not embedded.

Sorry,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gary!

that would explain a lot. Is it a legit question to the client "did you embed the font"? Or will I sound like I am ready for a nice jacket with long arms and a good dose of pills that will make me feel better soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Well, considering that most people have never heard of embedding ANYTHING in a document, it will more likely be met with confusion.

Here is a link to a good explanation for embedding fonts. (It is a bit outdated because it describes using Type 1 fonts, and they are on the way out.) But, it also points out that a font vendor can prevent a font from being embedded.

https://www.printivity.com/insights/2020/09/13/how-to-embed-fonts-in-pdfs/

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's precisely what I was suspecting. Fortunately rebooting Acrobat made the magic and I don't need to scare my client 😄

Thank you so much for contributing and for the link, I am not always at ease with Acrobat and every support is always appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your system version/Acrobat version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Catalina 10.15.7

latest version of Acrobat 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether the font is embedded in the PDF already is irrelevant. Embedded fonts are NOT used for editing.. you HAVE to have the font available on your system.

If you have indeed installed Century Gothic, it should be available to you to edit. Where did you "download" the font from? and how did you install it? Make sure you have restarted Acrobat, or have rebooted.. Sometimes a newly installed font is not available immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brad!

Thanks for mentioning rebooting Acrobat, now it works like bread and Nutella!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines