• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit.

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I updated my mac to the latest version 10.15 (macOS Catlina), I cannot open adobe aircraft reader DC anymore. Everytime I try to open it, it says "There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit" and exits immediately. I try to uninstall and install acrobat reader again, but it still does not works. Anyone can help? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 8.15.09 AM.png

Update on Oct 26:

I do not use any plug-in, and I only use adobe reader, not other adobe apps. This issue only happens on adobe reader, not on other apps such as PDF Expert (another PDF viewing app). My adobe reader just keep crashes everytime I open some PDF documents and says "There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit".

And this is the latest version of adobe reader I can find on their official website (not sure why they do not have macos10.15 version):

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.34.49 AM.png

Here is a copy of my mac system overview:

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.39.02 AM.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Hi,

Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update containing the fix for this issue is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. If you want, you may also manually trigger the update by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

More information about this release is here: Release notes 

Please try it out and let us know your feedback. Thanks for your patience and support!

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting this to us. Can you please follow the below process to resolve this error:

• Download the AcroCleaner Tool
  • Run the tool to remove the already installed Reader
  • Download the Catalina supported Reader

If you still observe the same error, please get back to us.

Also, share the Reader version currently installed on your machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

Let us know if the issue still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update was available, now running 2019.21.20048

If you would like a log file, how do I deliver it to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017; Mac OS X 10.15; Reader 2019.021.20047

Ran AcroCleaner.  Downloaded the Catalina supported Reader via the link provided above.  Opened a document that previously encountered the error with no problem.  Next file opened causes the problem.

Safar is only other program that does anything with PDFs.

Please help.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the update instructions, and am now running Adobe Reader DC version 2019.021.20049. But when I try to open a PDF file I still get the error message "There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit." and it keeps displaying error boxes one after another until I click "OK," at which time it quits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you pls. let us know if you have the on-screen keyboard opened up while opening the pdf files in Acrobat/Reader?

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was having the same issue, and I followed your instruction but everything is still happening, nothing has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rose,

Could you pls. let us know if you have the on-screen keyboard opened up while opening the pdf files in Acrobat/Reader?

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thanks for reporting the issue. Can you please share more details regarding this issue : 

1. Acrobat/Reader version you are using . 

2. Any third party plugin or Software installed on your system related to pdf's. 

3. Is this issue seen on just launching Acrobat or happens on opening any pdf. 

Regards, 

Priyanka 

(Adobe Acrobat team)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019 Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, I updated my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you pls. provide us with the logs captured by the 'Console' app in MacOS Catalina?

Thanks,

Vinod

(Adobe Acrobat Team)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinod, I have the same problem on Catalina, but i found out that the problem is that my Acrobat (part of my full subscription) was trying to invoke reading of the open document, because i was using assistive technology on Catalina (an on-screen keyboard, since one of the keys on my keyboard does not function). There was a dialog box popping up about reading direction. I clicked "do not ask again" and even this did not help. Please fix the issue. Apparently even an on-screen keyboard is problematic for Acrobat, and for some reason it activates assistive reading, which then causes the bug to appear and the crash to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adam, could you pls. provide us with the crash logs for the same issue. It would help us in identifying the issue.

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know how... I can send you the file called NGLClient_AcrobatDC112.0.log via email. That's the only .log i can find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't need the logs for "NGLClient...". Are there any crash logs starting with "Adobe Acrobat...". You can share the logs using any file share utility.

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinod, surprisingly enough, there are no crash reports. Or maybe unsuprisingly, since Acrobat doesn't actually crash in a typical fashion - it rather quits, just because it experienced an error. So the only thing i can give you is that other .log file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

This looks like a file specific issue. Could you pls. provide us with the PDF file in order to investigate?

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinod.

Sorry, but as Clif below pointed out, this is not a file-specific issue. This is an issue with Accessibility plugin having some interference with macOS Accessibility features. In my case, all i needed to do was to turn off the on-screen macOS keyboard (which i use because the keyboard in my laptop is missing a key). Please dig into that whole "RAISE" problem, but this is clearly on Acrobat's side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Adam Kozlowski for mentioning that he too was using the on-screen keyboard viewer when this problem happened to him. I am also having keyboard problems, and I have been using the keyboard viewer as a work around until I can spare my Mac long enough to get it into the shop. So I decided to try turning the on-screen keyboard off, and sure enough, the problem went away. I have noticed that it also screws up my iMac's hot corners, so it seems to me that both Adobe and Apple have bug issues to look into. Perhaps they should talk to each other a little more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa, I completed missed Adam's other message yesterday about the on-screen keyoboard viewer. I too had this up on the screen Monday when I was having my issued. Deleting the accessibilty.acroplugin did fix my problem to allow me to keep the keyboard viewer up and Acrobat work so I can't test turing the viewer off a this point but relevant that I TOO had the keyboard viewer up when having my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this issue/error on a Mac running 10.15.1 as well as Mac still on 10.14.6. 

On the 10.15 Mac it just happened. 

When I opened a PDF in Acrobat Pro DC, current release of version 19, it prompeted me with a tool tip about the Star icon in the menu bar, when I hit the X to close the tool tip, the RAISE without handler error popped up and app closed. I get the error for every PDF I open now including after doing a restart. I can open the app and its stable but as soon as I open a PDF the error comes up and app closes. 

Guess I'll have to try this AcroCleaner Tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this issue? What I've noticed is Adobe asking for Crash Reports but seems like one isn't going to be generated. The error says"There was a RAISE without and handler. The application will now exit. So its not a crash, the app closes itself. Sounds like it effects both reader and Pro and from 10.14 through 10.15.

I've yet to come across what a RAISE is and what a handler are but that should be useful info for Adobe to track down where the problem lies. The only way I've been able to fix yet has been a FULL removal and reinstall.

For what its worth, I'm a new comer to Acrobat Pro, I used version XI right up until 10.15 came out and went ahead and installed on my 10.14 machine as well so i can have parity across my usage but I held off for years as I still think XI was superior/less of a mess of stuff I didn't need. And now....I can't even open a single PDF with this Pro DC software. Thankfully Preview can handle the task easily enough.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need a fix here pronto. Adobe Acro Cleaner Tool nor the Uninsaller application are doing a good enough job to get me back to a working version of Acrobat. I need this appication on a daily basis and need a fix now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbeleavable. Stumbled on a fix that in my case allowed me to open PDFs again. 

Doing Show Package Contents in the contextual menu when you right click on the Adobe DC application. 

Inside Go in the Contents folder, than the Plugins folder and delete the folder called Accessibility.acroplugin

Back to running correctly for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines