Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open Dynamic PDFs from Livecycle

New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have created a PDF (SQ-D-LC-06-20-EN_v1.1 - DDQ-FI - Category 3 - No Account)  for our clients to be able to fill in, save and return to us. The PDF is saved as Dynamic XMl since there are same additional features like adding/remove tables/rows which will effect the total page count as it can increase while user is filling it in.

Some clients seem to be able to open the PDF while others are having issues and the PDF doesn't open, instead it gives the following error : 
«Please wait... If this message is not eventually replaced by the proper contents of the document, your PDF viewer may not be able to display this type of document. You can upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader for Windows®, Mac, or Linux® by visiting http://www.adobe.com/go/reader_download.»

From my I tested it seems that the PDFs can be opened with latest versions PDF readers but they cannot be opened in web browsers or older PDF readers. 

I tried reducing the Adobe Version in File->Compatibility but it simply gets reverting back to version 7 due to the additional functionalities. Saving as a Static PDF will stop the added functionalities to stop working (ofcourse).

Is there a way to make sure the PDF can always be opened while having the same functionalities? Are there are browser extensions that might help solve the problem?Am I missing some settings?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

There is no choice for your clients. You must inform and support them to get Reader, download the file, open in Reader. Many swear they are using Reader because that's what reads PDF, so they must be...! Some "download" a file by printing to PDF, so even Reader can't help. Also you will have to explain to people who use a phone or tablet, and have no computer, that they need one. Also people on corporate computers can't just choose to install free software. 

I consider XFA forms for general end

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Acrobat Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat DC to fill the form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works for all employees as we have them installed. Never had any issues with the PDFs within the company.  But unfortuantely, we don't know what our clients might have installed and some of them don't accept the "Adobe Reader is free" rethoric.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XFA forms are not PDF and require a special viewer, which is built into Acrobat/Reader.  The XFA is stuffed into a PDF wrapper, so it looks like a PDF, but it is not and most PDF viewers don't know what to do with it. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info! I appreciate the simple explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no choice for your clients. You must inform and support them to get Reader, download the file, open in Reader. Many swear they are using Reader because that's what reads PDF, so they must be...! Some "download" a file by printing to PDF, so even Reader can't help. Also you will have to explain to people who use a phone or tablet, and have no computer, that they need one. Also people on corporate computers can't just choose to install free software. 

I consider XFA forms for general end user delivery to be obsolete. So do Adobe. They offer a tool in AEM to convert XFA on the fly to live HTML5 forms. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer! I noticed that support for it has gone down a lot but that's the software I'm currently locked with when it comes to PDF scripting. 

Do you have a link to the AEM converter please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AEM is a complete product suite. So far as I know you have to buy into it all. Price by negotiation, but expect 5-6 figures. Basic info on converter here AEM Automated Forms Conversion | Adobe for Business

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can change the default "Please wait …" message by adding a _zeropagecontent property to your XFA forms. This way you can add your own message for your clients, they may understand better. More details under: 

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/experience-manager-64/forms/adaptive-forms-advanced-authorin...

Also, Firefox and Chrome have XFA support built in, so you can use XFA forms in browsers as well. However, this feature has to be enabled first. You can put this links in you own message above to guide your clients.

https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-livecycle-questions/pdf-js-adds-basic-xfa-sup...

https://helpx.adobe.com/livecycle/kb/xfa-forms-firefox-chrome.html

https://techdows.com/2021/08/google-chrome-open-xfa-based-pdf-forms.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines