• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to rearrange pages in Acrobat XI

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2013 Dec 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On iMac 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i5 OS 10.7.5, using recently installed Adobe Acrobat Pro 11.0.04 In an Acrobat XI pdf that has had pages inserted from other Acrobat XI pdf documents, in the thumbnail view, either clicking on or command clicking on page thumbnails does not select the page most of the time.  Sometimes it does for some pages but those are not the ones I wanted to re-order  Tried to close Acrobat to restart hoping to fix the problem that way.  No.  After importing the pages and trying to re-order them, then trying to save and close, Acrobat had an error that wouldn't let me save the document so I lost the work. Started new pdf, tried again to re-arrange the pages using the thumbnails, still unable to select the page thumbnails at all to move them.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Thanks. This did the trick. You da man!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2014 Mar 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, but I am using acrobat XI on a PC using windows 8.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...  I am new to Acrobat XI and Acrobat in general.  I was using Acrobat XI Reader instead of Acrobat Pro.  I have both, but the reader will only let you read the document and not move the pages.  How I (finally) understood the difference...  in Reader it does not have a page menu under tools.  All the tutorials, tips and tricks and help referred to using pages under the Tools menu.  When you open Acrobat Pro or Standard, Pages is under the Tool menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally you just open the Pages panel (you can resize it to get a lot more pages on the panel). Then, you select a page with the mouse and drag it to where you want. That works a lot better when you have 4 or 5 pages wide and not just 1 page wide display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working for me either. I recently upgraded from Acrobat Standard X to Standard XI. It used to work fine in X. In XI, I open a document I need to reorder the pages in. I then open the thumb nail view next so I have botht he thumbnail view and the page view next to one another. At this point, in X, I used to be able to highlight the page(s) I wanted to move and just drag them. Now, it doesn't work. When I move the cursor over one of the pages in the tumbnail view, I get the palm icon and not the arrow. And when I highlight the page(s) I want to move and try to drag them, they won't move. Nothing happens. I am on version 11.0.6 for windows 7. Any assistance would be appreciated. this is an important feature for me.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to zoom out so that the entire page is visible in the main window.

Then you'll be able to drag&drop the page in the Pages panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that seemed to do the trick. Wonder why they did that? I don't recall it being that way in X. Anyway, I apprecaite the heads up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a by-product (probably not intentional, AKA a bug) of the

feature that lets you move the display around directly in the pages panel.

Actually, you don't have to zoom out in order to be able to move the page,

I've just discovered, you just need to click outside of the visible area in

the icon (the black box). Clicking inside of it causes the display to move

and clicking outside of it causes the page to be dragged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. This did the trick. You da man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How ridiculous that the pages panel is inoperable for reordering if you are not zoomed out enough so that a page in the viewing area fits within the window?  Who'd have guessed that?  Poor UX from Adobe.  Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Geniuses of Adobe if you're paying attention:

This issue still is not solved, and the solutions proposed above do not work for me.

Please continue to ignore this thread, make no bug fixes or enhancements to your product, and generally be the worst company in the entire marketplace at handling a document type of your own creation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question in this thread was answered. If you have a similar situation you can post the details, but with that attitude I wouldn't expect many replies. Also, you should be aware that most of the people replying here are not Adobe employees. If you want an official reply contact Adobe's Customer Care department.

And no, there will be no more fixes for Acrobat XI, if that's what you're using, as it's no longer supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, fair, that you called me out for my attitude.  Apologies.

Unfortunately, the solutions proposed do not work for me, and the bug persists -- although it manifests intermittently, and I can't discern a pattern, nor, therefore, a work around (not that there isn't one).

It appears Adobe let this bug lapse until they simply discontinued support for this version of Acrobat, so maybe the only "solution" is to give Adobe more money for a newer version of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe your problem in detail, including the exact version number of Acrobat you have and your operating system version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so, generally, I can open two .pdfs in side by side windows with the thumbnails pane open, and either move/reorder pages within a document, or move pages across from one document to another, simply dropping then.

Except every once in a while (but much more commonly, lately) I can't.

Does that make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen consistently with specific files? If so, they might be encrypted, digitally signed or were created using LiveCycle Designer.

You can find that out if you look under File - Properties - Description and/or Security.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no consistency or pattern I can discern.   They're not encrypted, digitally signed, or LiveCycle files.

For instance, I am having the trouble with a simple MS Word saved as .pdf file consisting only of 12 exhibit tabs, with the simple text Exhibit [No.] on each page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that when you're trying to drag the page thumbnails the zoom level is small enough so that the entire page is visible on the screen. If it's not you'll be dragging the zoom box instead of the entire page and it won't work as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  That works.  And I see now that you had answered that above.  I had missed it.  I'll try to read more carefully before posting.  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your being sarcastic. The above does not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar problem here.  Suddenly unable to move page within a PDF I created.  Here's what I did to make it work. [I'm using Acrobat DC Pro on a new Dell laptop running Windows 10.]. I reset toolbars via Alt + F8. Another way to reset toolbars is right-click anywhere on the toolbar menu and select "Reset Toolbars".  And then I was able to drag pages within my PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting toolbars did not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled then reinstalled the program and that fixed the problem for me. Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get a fix for this or at least a work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have the same problem, have tried all of the above AND NOTHING WORKS! RANDOM TIMES, NO PATTERN, BEEN USING ADOBE FOR OVER 20 YEARS! THIS IS ON ADOBE XI PRO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines