Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Resize text boxes

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning,

In my office, most of the users are using Reader DC. with the exception of 1 user (so far) when we open a PDF we can resize the text boxes.

One user is unable to do this. even with new or existing text boxes they cannot be resized. I can save the document and open it on another PC and can resize the text boxes, but then save it and send it back it still will not resize. I am sure this is as setting issue or possibly registry.

I have uninstalled and re-installed it - didn't work

I uninstalled, deleted all the associated files and re-installed it - didn't work

I uninstalled, deleted the files, deleted everything in the registry related to acrobat reader (thinking that it might be a setting from another previous version of reader) re-started the PC and re-installed - didn't work.

Any advice?

OH Yeah Win 7 Pro PC

Thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamiej,

Sorry for the delay in response.

When you say you cannot resize the box, could you please let us know which box you are referring to?

Are you adding the text box using the comment tool?

Please elaborate on what exactly you are trying to do?

It would be helpful if you can share the screenshot and the workflow you do.

To share the screenshot, use the steps provided below:

- Click on the insert icon provided in the reply window as shown below:

- An Insert Image window will appear.

- Then click on Insert Image and browse the location where you have saved the screenshot file.

- Select the file and click on Open > Insert Image.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meenakshi,

Thanks for your response. Basically it's only a few users who are having this problem.

We are using reader DC on Win 7 and a document is created with a text box. the document is saved and forward to other users. Most users are able to resize the text box, but a few users can not. I've tried uninstall and re-install to no avail.

Any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Anyone from Adobe? I am also facing exactly the same problem. Any updates from Adobe?

Thank you.

Regards,

Edward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide full details of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My user has created a text box and she cannot resize the text box or move it to another location.

The problem happens with every PDF document, not just that particular one.

It also happens for any type of text box -- signature box, comment box, etc.

Normally to move the text box, you move the cursor around the edge of the box until it changes to a "movement" cursor. Then you can drag the box to another location. Same for resizing -- you should get a "resize" cursor then you can resize the box.

He is using the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC. Operating system is Windows 10 Professional.

Some troubleshooting methods I have tried but they have not worked:

1. Uninstall Acrobat Reader DC and reinstall it. No cleaning with the eraser tool is done.

2. Uninstall Acrobat Reader DC, clean-up with Adobe's eraser tool, and reinstall.

3. Repair installation.

4. Turn off protected view (Edit>Preferences>Security(Enhanced)>Set "Protected View" to "Off", and uncheck "Enable Enhanced Security").

5. Try the document in another computer. It is not the document's problem.

6. Get him to duplicate the action in another computer -- to confirm that he really knows how to do resizing and moving.

One of my colleagues commented that it might be a registry issue but we do not know what or where to look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does anyone have a solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Edward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to access the Properties of the field? If so, make sure the "Locked" check-box is not ticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try67,

Thanks for replying

Yes I can access properties and "Locked" is not checked.

Regards,

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found another solution to this if you're adding text through comments. Simply click the Highlight Text symbol, and now you can resize text boxes. Click the Add Text Comment symbol again to deactivate it, and you will be able to add text again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unsure of the actual solution, but i have the same thing currently going on with my Surface Book 2 - Windows 10. I found that if the Adobe window was on one of my external monitors, it wouldnt let me resize a text/comment box, however if i drag the window onto the Surface screen, it will let me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 and I was having this issue. It was making me frustrated. All I had to do was go to "Prepare Form" instead of "Edit". No other steps required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Meenakshi,

Did you end up determining what the issue was. I have the same problem. Using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and have selected EDIT PDF; selected Add Text and typed in new text. It wraps within a predefined size box and I am unable to extend the box left or right nor am i am able to move box on the page. Can you assist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're adding static text. You can't determine the size of the box in which it's located, nor what other text it's going to be connected to. The application does that automatically. Keep in mind that PDF files were never meant to be edited in this way. If you want full control then edit the original file and then create a new PDF file from it, or use something else, like a text form field or comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this comment is not very helpful.  What he is trying to accomplish is not something out of the ordinary and Adobe is designed to do.  It is just not doing it.  Your solution also does not work because any text you add to the new PDF will behave exactly like the old one:  you cannot resize it.  I am having the same problem, and a week ago I could do it, and now I cannot resize or crop anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had this same problem in Windows 10 Pro with Adobe Acrobat DC Pro. Have a possible fix.

Per Adobe support, one fix to try is to repair the Adobe Acrobat install. To do this, go to Windows Start button, click on Settings (cog wheel icon in Win 10), then click on Apps, then click on Apps and Features, then click on Adobe Acrobat in the list of Apps.

When you click on Adobe Acrobat in the Apps list, you get 2 options: Modify and Uninstall.

Click on Modify, then choose the Repair option.

This will start the Adobe Acrobat setup window, and step through a process to check and repair the installing of Adobe Acrobat.

When the Setup Repair routing finishes, click Finish to exit it and then restart Adobe Acrobat, and see if the problem is fixed.

Again, this worked for us in Windows 10 Pro and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, July 2022. Happy Hunting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2023 Jan 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just_A_Regular_User,

Thank you for your recommendation. After days of frustration, my problem is fixed.
Windows 10 Pro and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC (64 bit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you relay to us how it was fixed?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issues.  It seems Adobe did an update and after that things started going wonky.  Try logging out and back in again.  This fixed things for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep sign out and sign back in works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are a genius! Thank you, thank you, and THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines