• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unacceptable format issues following PDF conversion to Excel

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a paid anniual account to Acrobat for the purpose of converting PDF Bank Statements into Excel for pivot tables and other data interrogation.  The resulting formatting in Excel is totally unacceptable.  The principal errors are: (1) data from different original columns and rows appear in single Excel cells; (2) Logo images need to be deleted; (3) single column data are distributed into several different Excel columns inconsistently.  The time required to adjust manually is self-defeating and if no remedy is easily available I expect a refund of cost.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In what operating system, Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro versions are you on?

Please also describe which method are you using to export PDF to Microsoft Excel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Many thx for your response and apols delay but other business intervened.  Not remotely technical but I think the info you seek is as follows.  Windows 10 and O365 for MS Office.  The Adobe is Acrobat Export PDF.  From Account Login, I hit 'Access Yiour Services', then under 'Tools', 'Export a PDF' and 'Drag and Drop' the PDF from an open Windows Explorer window.  Then, I downloaded the resulting .xlxs file for use in O365 Excel because I'm not familiar with editing the web Excel file...although I notice the format errors appear in that latter too.

Hope this gives you what you need.  Any suggestions much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No substantive reply has been received.  Request help from Adobe Technical Support pls.  Otherwise I will cancel subscription and request refund because the so-called conversion is completely unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many things could be causing the problems you're having, and it's difficult to figure out which one to focus on.

1) The way the bank created the PDF statement is a huge factor. Although PDFs might look like what you see in your account's website page, the encoding could be causing some of the problems you're having. It's difficult to know without examining the PDF itself.

2) A bank statement contains many elements that don't really fit a spreadsheet: personal information, bank disclosure text, as well as a list of transactions.

3) The method you're using to convert the PDF to Excel.

I took one of my personal bank statement PDFs and converted it to Excel .xlsx, and the results were fine. The transactions were correctly created inside cells that I could then run analyses on, sums, etc.  But there were also graphics and blah blah body text that I don't need. No way to prevent that stuff from being converted into the spreadsheet — when you convert to another format, it will convert everything — but it's not that much effort to select them and delete them either.

From your description, it appears you are using Adobe's online service.

Instead, try converting directly with Acrobat's program itself:

1. File / Export / Microsoft Excel
  2. Select where you want to save the exported file.
  3. Open the resulting .xslx spreadsheet in Excel.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Request help from Adobe Technical Support pls.

By @Nicholas22697639221q

This is a community forum. It is mainly "staffed" by volunteers who are experts in various Adobe programs. We are not Adobe employees, just fellow users who know a lot about these programs and try to help other users. "Community Expert" appears next to our name.

You might find an Adobe representative here and their name will have Adobe's red logo.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines