• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UpdaterStartupUntility Crash (everyday for past 3 months)

Engaged ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I start my system and apple's crash reporter opens with "UpdaterStartupUtility quit unexpectedly."

I have sent it, but it only goes to apple, not Adobe, the people that need to fix it.

I have looked on their support pages, yes all of them took an hour to finally decided to come here and see if anyone knows a channel, path, avenue to send this crash report to Adobe about their updaterstartuputility.  here is a sample. there is more.

Process:               UpdaterStartupUtility [576]

Path:                  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/*/UpdaterStartupUtility

Identifier:            UpdaterStartupUtility

Version:               10.0.0.19 (10.0.0.19)

Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:        ??? [1]

Responsible:           UpdaterStartupUtility [576]

User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2019-03-01 08:03:39.667 -0800

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G5019)

Report Version:        12

Anonymous UUID:        D04D36B4-10EB-3625-7443-63CD4FFB48BB

Time Awake Since Boot: 30 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        3

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:

abort() called

*** error for object 0x7fdf2fc060c8: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Ok, thank you all for the additional feedback.  The suggestions offered in post #5 do not appear to be allowing individuals to resolve this error.  Please contact our support team at Contact Customer Care for direct assistance with resolving the error.  You can use the process listed in View Adobe Support cases to update your support case if the error is not fixed during your first interaction.

I am very sorry that many of you are facing problems with the update mechanism. I am locking this discu

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2019 Mar 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same problems. I uninstalled CC and all prefs per instructions and yet, 2 days later I get the message again. Will this be addressed in any updates? Very frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Is there a known fix yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started receiving this exception daily and on restarts too (EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY).

The advice in #5 doesn't cut it. Thanks for ruining my weekend!

while we're at it, can you fix your updater so it doesn't trick me into installing Acrobat DC if I accidentally click "Update All"? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Yet another victim here! ’Fighting’ with it since February. Had a loooong session with Adobe, they did a lot of things via remote help, including reinstalling Creative Cloud and some other tools. But nothing solved it. In the end, the advice was to leave if as it is since - in my case - Photoshop and Lightroom work fine and get also updated. Basically the same advice I read here. Besides uninstalling and running cleaning tools which I really do not have time for, since  use my computer for work, too many deadlines. Only ’side effect’ is that sometimes Adobe Desktop Service crashes, but that seems to resolve itself by restarting after that happens.

What I did NOT like about the helpdesk is that they told me this was an unknown problem. I see that it is widespread now (also in other threads in different languages it’s mentioned often). But I understand here too that it shouldn’t be a big problem. Hopefully a solution will come up soon, because it’s just annoying. Never had problems with any other software. And the rare occassion that something does go wrong, it’s always releated to some vague Adobe background tool of which I do not have any control. That IS a bit frustrating, to be honest.

By the way: I run the latest versions of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, plus Adobe Reader. Would it help to remove Reader? Got this idea by reading post #18. Or do I misinterpret the fact that this program is - on my system - probably the only component that uses updaterstartuputility? And if it is advisable to indeed remove, what is a good alternative to Adobe Reader?

Greetings,

Ronald.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ronald,

I was able to stop the errors by uninstalling Photoshop CS6, quitting Adobe CC Desktop and killing all additional background processes on my computer. Signing back into Adobe CC did not bring back the errors. I've been crash free for three days now.

I am still bothered by the instructions in this thread to completely uninstall and reinstall, run a series of "cleaners" and generally make a hash of one's harddrive in the efforts to clean up the damage of various iterations of software updaters from the past. I am also concerned that I have no easy means of reinstalling Photoshop CS6 if I decide to stop my subscription to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The obligatory total cleanup and re-install as a possible solution is not only something that worries me, but annoys (to put it nicely) me too. It can't be that professional used software puts such a burden on its users. I use Photoshop CC 2019, so I doubt if this one is even the culprit. When receiving help from Adobe via a remote session, the person removed also virtually all background tools and reinstalled them, killing all running adobe processes, made a new user account etc. etc. It did not help. This is absolutely a problem on the Adobe-side. In my case it started out of the blue somewhere last month.

I understand that software is made by humans and that glitches and bugs do happen. If however it's the tool that mainly arrange DRM, subscription checking, updates etc and the main software runs fine, this is a bit of a blamage that should be repaired as quickly as possible. Also keep in mind that this problem might be much more widespread then Adobe thinks. Most users don't check the Console files on their Macs, probably can't even find it. I checked it because of the mentioned Adobe Desktop Services-crash, probably somehow related to the main error we're talking about here.

My humble suggestion would actually be that Adobe stops using the whole Creative Cloud Manager and all its associated tools and offer that as an option for people who really can't live without it. Offer all the apps seperate in de Mac app store and let that handle updates. Never have any problems with that. In other words: do what Microsoft did with Office (365) software. It would save a lot of headaches all over the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thank you all for the additional feedback.  The suggestions offered in post #5 do not appear to be allowing individuals to resolve this error.  Please contact our support team at Contact Customer Care for direct assistance with resolving the error.  You can use the process listed in View Adobe Support cases to update your support case if the error is not fixed during your first interaction.

I am very sorry that many of you are facing problems with the update mechanism. I am locking this discussion as any additional discussion on the topic will not resolve the error.  Please open a support case so that the error can be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines