• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using circles instead of check marks

Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adbobe Acrobat 8.0 Pro and have a form that I've converted over to pdf. I've done all the text fields but this form has several questions that are answered yes or no by "circling" the appropriate answer. Is there a way to use a circle over the yes/no answer without using a check box or does the form have to be redone and eliminate the yes/no answers requiring a circle?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wislndixie

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you want to  use the circle instead of check box for marking the answer in the PDF form.

If, the check boxes were originally used in the form which you have converted to PDF then please try the following steps and see if that works for you.

1. Open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat > Go to Tools > Prepare Form (This will bring the form in editing mode)

2. Remove/delete the check boxes and insert the Radio Button as desired and check

Note: Adobe Acrobat 8 is an old and EOL application. For more information please check the help page - https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/end-support-acrobat-8-reader.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response but that is not the answer I was looking for. Check boxes were not used on the original form only the words Yes or No. The user was to circle with a pen or pencil the correct answer. I tried using the radio button but I can find a way to just use the "circle" of the radio button instead of the radio button filling in the circle. I've tried setting the "fill" color of the button to a transparent color but can find one, so when I use the radio button it hides the words Yes or No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks for explaining the issue in detail. please open the PDF form and go Tools > Fill and sign and use the use the dot option to mark the answers in the form and see if that works for you.

Untitled.png

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a button field, put it over word you want to circle and set it's border and fill color to transparent, then in button 'action' tab set Mouse UP event , select 'Run javascript' and use this code:

event.target.borderColor = (color.equal(color.red, event.target.borderColor)) ? color.transparent : color.red;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your reply. The javascript code worked for the "mouse up" action but when I try to set the border and fill color to transparent I don't see "transparent" as a color option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, It's a "No color" option:

tempsnip.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nesa- thanks for sharing this tip- just what I was looking for!

Is there another piece of Javascript code to add so that someone could "uncircle" something if they accidentially circled it?

With the current code, it will let you select something to circle it, but it stays in the circled state afterwards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script will already do that when you click on a button a second time.

You should also replace borderColor with strokeColor since the use of borderColor is now discouraged,
although, it is still valid for backward compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the note about StrokeColor!

Whenver I use the form, the box stays selected over the text and you cannot deselect it.  I've tried it multiple times. 

I went back into the Prepare form after trying to deselect these again, and it shows that after you select it, the border color changes from "no color" to the new color automatically.

Is there something I'm not adding right that is causing that, or is there something I can add to the javascript to enable deselection?

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of field did you use?

Can you share the file with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't share the file I'm working on, but I made a quick test version of what I'm trying to accomplish. Basically, I want users to be able to select as many or few options as they wish, but also deselect the options if they made an error. 

Here's a link to the test document 

I also attached a copy. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your script you are checking if color is red instead of gray, change color.red to color.gray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my issue! Thanks so much! 

When I changed the color to gray to more closely match my document's brand colors, I must have skipped changing that first "red" in the code- thanks for catching that! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Nesa ! Thank you for this tip, I am looking to do the same for my document!

However, I seem to be having some issues finding the correct field. I am only seeing a "radio button" field, and when I add it, there are no options to change the border/fill color. Any tips would be much appreciated! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines