• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing Properties in Windows Explorer (Windows 10)

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a lot of posts about difficulties with properties. I've added Title and Subject to Acrobat files and MS files types. In File Explorer, I can only see those properties for the MS file types such a s Excel. I'd like to be able to see them listed for Acrobat files as well. I have not tried it with other typres of Adobe files such as InDesign or Photoshop. It's very much needed for Acrobat files.

Acrobat metadata.jpg

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the issue you're describing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see this entries in the file properties at the tab PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat metadata.jpg

Here are 2 screen shots. The folder in Explorer has the columns for Authors turned on, and the metadata I entered in Properties within the file is shown further down. The metadata in Properties is not showing up in the columns seen in Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've read this is not enabled in MS Windows 10. 

There's a lot involved with filesystem metadata, file  indexing, and how to enable file metadata editing for those extensions that are not native to MS Windows(i.e.  Acrobat's .pdf).

In older versions of MS Windows before XP this seems like it was enabled by default and the file metadat used to be editable by selecting the file properties and editing those properties via the "Summary" tab.

Nowadays you can't do that unless you use a third-party tool that will be able to interact with the File Explorer and apply changes to the registry.

In fact, I could only find one tool only that allows to do this:  https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/computer-science/file-system-metadata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, was a bit 'surprised' Adobe hasnt more shell integration options and metadata handling support for Windows Explorer.

The specific tool your link mentions is here to be found:

Dijji/FileMeta: Enable Explorer in Vista, Windows 7 and later to see, edit and search on tags and ot... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2021 Aug 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for updating this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines