• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird characters/symbols when I copy/paste text outside of Acrobat

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm currently translating an English pdf into Spanish by copy/pasting text from Word. There's an issue where if I copy the Spanish text I added and paste it outside of Acrobat, I get weird characters like this:

􀀘􀀎􀀗􀀃􀀉􀀊􀀆􀀉􀀆􀀌􀀍􀀎􀀏􀀉􀀈􀀃􀀈􀀃􀀥􀀆􀀊􀀤􀀃􀀓􀀔􀀎􀀃􀀌􀀍􀀃􀀉􀀊􀀆􀀉􀀆􀀌􀀍􀀎􀀏􀀉􀀈􀀃􀀑􀀈􀀏􀀉􀀊􀀆􀀃􀀎􀀗􀀃􀀑􀀤􀀏􀀑􀀎􀀊􀀃􀀋􀀎􀀆􀀃􀀌􀀎􀀏􀀈􀀋􀀃 􀀎􀀐􀀍􀀑􀀆􀀦􀀙􀀃􀀧􀀏􀀃􀀑􀀆􀀋􀀈􀀃􀀆􀀐􀀍􀀊􀀌􀀆􀀉􀀍􀀒􀀈􀀨􀀃􀀄􀀕􀀈􀀘􀀊􀀟􀀆􀀃􀀆􀀐􀀎􀀑􀀉􀀆􀀊􀀃􀀆􀀃􀀌􀀍􀀃􀀊􀀎􀀑􀀔􀀕􀀎􀀊􀀆􀀑􀀍􀀞􀀏􀀃􀀈􀀃􀀆􀀃􀀌􀀍􀀃 􀀕􀀊􀀈􀀏􀀞􀀋􀀉􀀍􀀑􀀈􀀙

This wasn't an issue when I started translating the pdf. I've seen similar questions here but none of the solutions I tried so far are working. I attached a pdf with some text that looks normal but gives me weird characters when I copy/paste it.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

As described when you  copy the Spanish text I added and paste it outside of Acrobat, I get weird characters like this:

􀀘􀀎􀀗􀀃􀀉􀀊􀀆􀀉􀀆􀀌􀀍􀀎􀀏

It means that the document is using a font that is not installed on your system. upon further checking the PDF I found that it was created from the Adobe Indesign application. Please try to create the PDF using the Adobe Acrobat DC application and see if that helps.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding! I activated Lato (the font I was using) from Adobe Fonts, but I'm still having this issue. How do I make or convert the PDF using Adobe Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Have you created this PDF file?

What is the source file from which the PDF is created?  Please share the source file of the PDF so that we can try to check it at our end.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I didn't make this PDF. I'll ask for the source file and I'll update you if or when I get it.

Thank you,

Angela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal, unfortunately I can't share the InDesign file because it's confidential.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an encoding issue.

You really should be doing your editing in the original application (in this case InDesign) and not use Acrobat. It is not meant to do extensive editing like this.

Anyway, this is what is happening: When fonts are embedded in a PDF, they are often subset and often encoded differently as they are really only meant for printing or display.

When you copy and paste such copy out of the PDF, the encoding no longer matches the font's original encoding, so you get gibberish or empty characters.

The only way around this at this point, as the damage is already done, is to EXPORT your PDF to a Word document, then open that and copy and paste from that. The Export filter will do its best to reorder the characters back into something readable, but it's not a sure thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thanks. It's just the InDesign file hasn't been updated in a while and it runs really slowly on my laptop. Acrobat worked well for me until now but I'll keep in mind to only make smaller edits there, and do the major edits in InDesign. Exporting to Word didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines