• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What does "not an editor" mean???

Engaged ,
Aug 17, 2024 Aug 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am frustrated, as many other Acrobat posters seem to have been in the past, judging from my search results.

I'm trying to simply add an image to my PDF, and center it on the page. I've already done all the searches (Google/YouTube/this forum, etc), and discovered that even in 2024, the people who literally invented the PDF do not have a way, in their OG PDF app (Acrobat), to do this. Words fail me.

Every time I read a post in this forum about this issue, the reply that is marked "Correct Answer" usually says something along the lines of, "Acrobat is not intended to be an editor, so it can't do that."

I'm sorry, WHAT??

What exactly does this mean? If Acrobat is not a PDF editor, what is it? And what is an example of a real PDF editor?

The closest I get to centering: I can turn on grids, and I can make my image snap to the grid, but even that doesn't truly center the image.

I annotate PDFs on a daily basis in my work. I frequently need to hand write on them with my Surface Pen. Acrobat "technically" supports this, but the result is profoundly ugly and hard to manipulate. Also, adding images and being able to align them on the page is something I need to do regularly. These issues shouldn't make me as upset as they do, but so many times my progress has been halted because I cannot move forward in Acrobat without these features. I'm tired of paying for Acrobat and it can't even center an image.

I am using the free version of Drawboard PDF on a daily basis for the features I frequently need, while Acrobat, the first and foremost PDF app from the inventors of the PDF, languishes unused on my computer. Turns out, Drawboard CAN center an image... and snap it into place, IF I upgrade to it's paid app as well! I really do not want to pay for two PDF apps.

In my opinion, there is simply no excuse for Acrobat to not be able to do this. Any answer along the lines of "it's not an editor" is ridiculous and unacceptable. Yes it IS an editor. It is literally says that in the marketing: https://www.adobe.com/acrobat.html?msockid=36d041dabff16323110955a2be1f62f0 (look for everywhere on the screen you see the word EDIT, and what capabilities are advertised).

So can someone give an answer on this that actually makes sense and doesn't insult the reader's intelligence? Either how to center an image, OR, why is it not possible (for real, not because "it's not an editor" [eye roll]).

Thank you!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , Modern Acrobat , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @jampff, first off, it sounds like you've done an impressive job working against a temendous challenge. 

Let me try and explain how Acrobat is not meant for extensive editing. Acrobat is a digital print, first and formost. Its strengths include that a PDF document can be opened on just about any platform and look like it's creator intended it appear. In addition, it can have fields that can be filled out, it can have regions for leaving signitures, and with long documents, you can split it into pieces, extract selected pages out of the original, and many other important functions.

The PDF format is so successful and so important for world digital activies, that Adobe GAVE UP the rights to the PDF format and it is now a world wide ISO standard. Any changes that are made in the PDF format have to be agreed upon by the ISO International Committee. That's big time. Adobe, Apple, Microsoft, and many other 3rd parties write code to read, and edit (to some limited degre), and some of them follow the ISO guidelines (and no, neither Apple or Microsoft do a great job of following those guidelines. They do OK, but not great).

Did you know you could write a book in Photoshop? I can't imagine anyone wanting to, but you could. After all, you can type, you have access to all the fonts on your computer, Tab features, Centering, Left and Right allign; all in all, it can do impressive layout. But, it would be sooooo much more work than using just about any other Adobe application outside of Illustrator. Just thing, no automatic page numbering, no word-wrap around objects and no word-wrap from page to page. That's just a few of the things you cannot do when writing a book in Word.

Many years ago I wrote a book, and at that time, I used Microsoft Word. It was horrible, but at that time (mid 80s), but it sorta worked. When it came time to write the next edition, I used FrameMaker for the Mac. It was amazing and fantastic. It was hard — my joke was that FrameMaker should be given away for free, but the manual was $900 — since it was impossible to figure out how else to use it. But I saved so much time becuase it was a proper page layout application. 

There are two primary writing applications: text-intensive applications like Word, or page layout applications like FrameMaker and InDesign. With the latter two you can have word-wrap around objects, consecutive page numbering, consecutive section numbering, consecutive figure numbering, etc. Yes, you can do some of that in Word, but also you can do that in Photoshop via manual setting for each one.

I'm sorry to belabor all this, but you spent a long time asking a very important valid question and I'm trying to give you the best explanation I can. The code for what can be done in a PDF is very focused and very limited. It's much better than what can be done using Whiteout on a Typewriter, but for best service, you should think of Whiteout functions when "editing" in Acrobat. 

Maybe sometime in the future, Acrobat will work just like Word or InDesign, with functionality of Photoshop and Illustrator. But I'm pretty sure that that program would be very slow, full of bugs, and a real pisser to use. But, if you want to see development, try using Acrobat 2 — that's what I started with. (LOL)

Anyhow, all this is to say that the BEST way to edit a PDF document is to open up the original application that made the document. If that is completely not possible, save the document into a Word document, fix all of the wierd formating things that will need to be fixed, do the editing you want/need, and then resave it into a new PDF.

I'm sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, one real quick extra statement: Believe it or not, all the marketing and advertisements that Adobe has is not always realistic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
12 hours ago 12 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is an old application in which certain functions are well hidden. Unfortunately, when it comes to development, marketing takes precedence over user-friendliness and logic.

To center an image bring up the ‘Prepare Form’ tools, select the image and right-click on it to display the context menu, or use the pane icons.

But don't be frightened, the ghost frame disappears as soon as the image is deselected.

Capture_2408181319.png

Capture_2408181336.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
5 hours ago 5 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jampff 

When I started using Acrobat with version 2, any kind of edit was completely impossible. Users kept clamoring and because Adobe cares they began to add editing capabilities over the years. It is still not a page layout application, so you will be working harder when you choose to treat it as such instead of using an application that is better suited for page layout. 

Until I read the excellent tip from JR to use the Prepare Form tool, I was going to suggest another workflow that we used to use in PageMaker.

• Add a ruler guide to the center of your page. If the width is 8.5", for instance, put the guide at 4.25.
  • Select and drag the image. You will see resizing handles as shown in the screenshot from JR. Position the top center handle on the guide. Now the center of the image will be in the center of the page.

I like this method because you can see visually if it is still centered. You might combine it with the Prepare Form tool method.

If Rulers and Ruler Guides in Acrobat are new to you, do this:

• To view rulers, select View menu > Show/Hide > Rulers & grids > Rulers
  • To create a vertical guide, drag right from the vertical ruler or double-click on a location on the horizontal ruler.
    To create a horizontal guide, drag down from the horizontal ruler or double-click a location on the vertical ruler.

Details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/grids-guides-measurements-pdfs.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
5 hours ago 5 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e When I first saw your statement, I was expecting something like ASCII art. (And then there's this guy in London who does it all on an old fashion typewriter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bqi2qY918M)

But Wow, using graphs to provide the color and everything, that's jaw-dropping. Thank you for that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
4 hours ago 4 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's incredible @gary_sc , thank you!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
12 hours ago 12 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Did you know you could write a book in Photoshop? I can't imagine anyone wanting to, but you could. "

It's déjà vu, a client once asked me to make corrections and finalise the layout of a book he'd made using Photoshop. There were around 340 individual .PSD files to edit.
I sent him elsewhere. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
6 hours ago 6 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JR Boulay, how funny. I was going to use the real example of a lady in Japan who wrote an entire book using Twitter, but since that was real, I thought of making up the concept of using PS. 

I guess that shows the range of folks who'd rather embrace the process rather than the result.

Thanks for your addition there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
6 hours ago 6 hours ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gary_sc and @JR Boulay 

Did you also know that you can create works of art in Excel? Tatsuo Horiuchi from Japan is famous for it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tatsuo-horiuchi-excel-art-2014-6

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines