• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is my Acrobat Pro or DC? CC has installed an inconvenient, useless, AWFUL version of Acrobat

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm away from home, working for the weekend on my laptop. I opened a PDF I needed to edit, but the Acrobat user interface is all different.

On my desktop at home, I have Acrobat Pro. There, when I want to comment/edit (using all the edit and proofing tools available under the Comment option), I'm able to see my added comments in a list down the right side of the screen and to expand or collapse the side bar where they are contained. I'm able to select the comments, check them off when I do them, make new comments, etc., and they're all in a nice, neat column that allows me to hop around in the program easily.

Today on my laptop, I don't have the same maneuverability.

Instead, there is a tiny tool bar with some tools I don't need but can't remove, and missing tools I do need that aren't there, so I have to "customize" to add them (and in customizing, I still can't get rid of the ones I don't want.) When I select a tool, more often the cursor just jumps to another tool instead of becoming available to use. I have to fight to get a balloon/comment bubble to show up at all just so I can type in it.

When I do manage to make comments, they stack on top of each other along the edge of the document, overlapping and obscuring each other. This is confusing, making me uncertain sometimes if the comments I thought I made actually "held." Sometimes the text I've selected to comment on won't stay highlighted long enough for me to comment at all, or the selection will unselect when I try to choose a tool. 

I have uninstalled this very aggravating version of Acrobat via the CC app. I found an Adobe site from which I was supposedly downloading Acrobat Pro and did so. But when I ran the install, it simply opened the CC app and reinstalled the same screwy version I'd uninstalled -- which was not Pro. Or, if it is, it is a ruined app and I hope to heck when I get back home and start to work again on my desktop, that it hasn't updated itself to this new, screwy, aggravating, useless, ineffective, maddening version that I've now realized I cannot use. I must wait until I get home to have even a hope of getting my work done. Time and days wasted on this trip because of this useless version of Acrobat.

Does anyone know anything about this and any ideas about how to get back the version of Acrobat I'd really prefer? The CC app doesn't seem to offer "earlier versions.'

This makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. This version of Acrobat is worse than useless.  Sure hope someone has some hope or information or help to offer!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a subscription to Acrobat Pro, you get Acrobat Pro. However, you always get the latest version. You love the interface, or you hate it. But you need to take it.

Check the “About Acrobat [Pro]” in the Help menu, to check your version.

Abambo_0-1681731287283.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi casinclaire,

Thank you for reaching out.

It seems you are referring to the new Acrobat experience introduced with the recent update.

Please refer to the information about this new Acrobat experience in the following help document: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/new-acrobat-experience.html

Let us know if you need help or are referring to something else.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the last few days, I have realized there is an "Acrobat Web" version of Acrobat. I believe this is the "new Acrobat experience" to which you refer.

I don't know why this version is what insists on opening on my laptop, but I don't care for it. I subscribe to Creative Cloud and should be able to download the desktop version, but my CC dashboard just shows Acrobat is "up to date" and keeps giving me this "new experience" version -- even when I uninstall it and try to install Pro or DC.

I think -- but can't remember for sure -- that I might have seen an option within the Acrobat Web app by which to open my document in the desktop app instead. I'll have to ck that next time I'm working on my laptop. But if you already know that I'm dreaming and that such an option isn't available, can you explain to me how I can download Acrobat DC or Pro -- either one is fine -- instead of the Acrobat Web app (which I only want to get rid of)?

The first reply to my question, above, implied that I have no choices.  My subscription is not ONLY for Acrobat but to the whole Creative Cloud subscription service. I am a long-time subscriber. I've downloaded and installed (and also uninstalled!) all my programs numerous times. I know how it is done. But I've never run into a situation where I had no choice in my version of Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not send me any massage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I got the same awful experience, namely "the new Acrobat experience". Luckily, in the menu on the left, I found option 'Disable new Acrobat' (or sth like that) and managed to switch to the old layout. Adobe: Please forget the new awful, useless Acrobat experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks much for this useful piece of info. 🙂  I'll give that a try!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In the last few days, I have realized there is an "Acrobat Web" version of Acrobat. I believe this is the "new Acrobat experience" to which you refer."

No, it isn't. You can turn off the "New UI" using info already replied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines