• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why are pdf documents printing out with left side partially cut off?

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF's I receive are printing with part of the left side of the page cut off - how do I change the left print margin in Acrobat Standard XI? I can't figure out how to increase the left margin and this is driving me crazy.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

There are no margin controls. What you have is a choice of two ways of printing:

1. Exactly as the original - same size and position. If the design is very close to the left side, it will probably be cut off because your printer can't print that close to the edge. But this is a very important mode, especially for things like official forms which must be exact.

2. Scaled to fit. Here, we work with the "printable area", the space your own printer is able to use (different for each printer model). Th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2017 Sep 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no margin controls. What you have is a choice of two ways of printing:

1. Exactly as the original - same size and position. If the design is very close to the left side, it will probably be cut off because your printer can't print that close to the edge. But this is a very important mode, especially for things like official forms which must be exact.

2. Scaled to fit. Here, we work with the "printable area", the space your own printer is able to use (different for each printer model). The pages are scaled into that area, so almost never printing life size. Any blank space in the PDF is scaled too.

You choose between these (and other) options in the print dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have been having the same problem for months, couple of years.  Today I really needed to print ALL of a vendor's invoice.  Finally got it printed by changing the HP printer setup Advanced | Graphic Scaling to 95% and the left part of the invoice printed just fine.

I only have this problem once in a while but sometimes you REALLY need to have that left side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting it to 'scale to fit' made no difference for me. What fixed it for me was actually loading it into adobe acrobat and printing it from there rather than firefox..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Chrome.  Thanks for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using adobe acrobat fixed the issue for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solution worked for me. I have a Brother printer. We have an e-filing system in our local Courts, and the stamp appears in the far left margin. It would show up in the print screen, but it wouldn't show up when printed. Changing the scale to printable area made it jump in or over and it printed. Thank you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, drove me nuts forever until this worked for me.  Went to [File], [Print], then [Properties] of my printer which is a HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477.  Then went to [Effects] and changed to [Print Document on], [Letter], [Scale to Fit].  Lastly I set radio button in page sizing & handling to [Fit].  Finally worked for me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it, but all it did was reduce the document to 96%, which is no good for legal pdf documents that have to be filed with a court. It also includes these backward "L" shapes in each corner of the document. I have the same printer. Want to throw it in a lake. HP used to be known for their printers, but have to admit the last couple I have bought have been trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem , I am in the middle of editing a 339 page document and suddenly when I try to edit a portion of the text the infil will only print from right to left. It is messing up the document . I feel that I might have pressed one of the many options that only experts know about and I have to press it again or something else to stop it working from right to left . Urgent 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my solution that also saved me ink.. load up the pdf file into adobe acrobat read and click 'edit' and then select 'take a snap shot.' Then click, drag and highlight with your mouse what you want printed out. No more issues with boders being cut off and also i'm not printing parts of the shipping labels I don't need printed out (saving me ink).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I use scaled to fit and reduce side, I get a larger right and bottom margins, but the left edge of the pdf remains cut off.  using fit to printable area also cuts off pdf.

Help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found in the printer dialog that "Document and Markups" were selected. When I chnged it to "Document" the issue went away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this post helped me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I don't know where the skull picture came from!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had this problem on my MG2900 Canon. I changed the "Same as document size" setting from ON to OFF and this fixed it. However, each time you print a PDF, you need to do this little switch. See pic below for where this setting is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines