• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why does abode acrobat keep auto installing?

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2022 Mar 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've disable auto-update but I notice every time Acrobat reinstalls itself, my computer practically comes to a halt.

I've looked everywhere to disable this option but can't find it. Is this some sort of spyware?

How do you fix this? 

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Ok, Acrobat Reader. I don't know about it auto installing, but it certainly auto updates often. Some people found that Reader kept installing because their company was pushing it. But a few people do seem to have had the same problem. I think it may be that it was removed without being uninstalled PROPERLY, so the updater was left running and kept reinstalling. But it might also be related to whatever weird stuff makes it hang for you in the first place, which is not normal or common (but probab

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yotone!

You could try to uninstall the program, reboot your machine and do a fresh install from you CC acount. See if a fresh new install helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Acrobat Reader. Now to install I have to buy it. I don't know why I have to pay for some I wasn't paying for already. 

Great, some sort of likely spyware with Acrobat. Now I've been given bad troublshooting tips. And top of it all I use Photoshop and Premiere which don't fall far behind the lag issue.

I think I'm going to start looking for new software platform today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yotone,

Thank you for reaching out.

Could you please confirm whether you refer to the auto-update feature or the Acrobat reinstallation? Both are different issues.

Share the Acrobat and OS versions on the machine.

Also, let us know about the troubleshooting steps you have tried.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where to disable auto-update for Acrobat Reader. This is for Windows 10.

I need troubleshooting tips to disable this.

I've already disabled Create Cloud auto-update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2024 Oct 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe acrobat(paid version) and Adobe reader(free version) are two different things. I guess I have the same issue like yours.  Cant just roll back to Adobe reader(free version) to view those PDFs. This happen once you have installed creative cloud and installed the paid version even you dont plan to use paid version anymore. And here is my solution to quit this nightmare.

First, remove the Adobe acrobat  in Add/remove programs under control panel

Second, also remove the Adobe acrobat extension in your browser. This prevent the auto installation of acrobat once you hit any pdf link

At last, download and install Adobe reader(free version) again. You should then manage to enjoy the free version again and quit the auto installation nightmare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled Acrobat Reader. Now to install I have to buy it. I don't know why I have to pay for some I wasn't paying for already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to pay for Acrobat Reader. But people often mix it up with Adobe Acrobat - which you have to pay for. You may be mixing it up because in the first post you said "every time Acrobat reinstalls itself" which we'd all understand to mean you were already paying.

To get Acrobat Reader go to http://get.adobe.com/reader . Do not use the Creative Cloud app, if you are, because that is only for paid-for Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that. I'll run this and see if I run into any further issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Acrobat Reader is 100% the issue. I've tired installing it again and the computer freezes. It's so bad I have to always hard reset.

And this same Reader randomly auto-updates/reinstalls itself and does identical freezing as it just did now with manual install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Acrobat Reader. I don't know about it auto installing, but it certainly auto updates often. Some people found that Reader kept installing because their company was pushing it. But a few people do seem to have had the same problem. I think it may be that it was removed without being uninstalled PROPERLY, so the updater was left running and kept reinstalling. But it might also be related to whatever weird stuff makes it hang for you in the first place, which is not normal or common (but probably not unique either).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. How do I disable auto-update on Reader? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't, so far as I know. Adobe insist that everyone gets up to date. This is the new way forward, apparently. Can't say I like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you described my situation practically spot on. I can't say I like continuing on like this either.

I'm probably going to keep looking for new platform but I guess I'm in a less rush to do so now.

There are just too many problems with other Adobe products. Drives me up the wall.

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines