• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows 10 default to Acrobat Reader instead of Pro

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to get Adobe Reader DC to be the default for opening PDFs instead of Acrobat Pro.  Unfortunately, no matter what the default is set to within Windows 10, Acrobat Pro is always opening.    I am looking for some guidance on this.

The reason is because, while I have Acrobat Pro installed on my PC, I have a license for a 2-PC max, and I generally use it on my other 2 PCs, so I dont wan to have to log out just to view PDFs sent to me via email, which is what I need to do 99% of the time on this PC.  Occasionally I will need to edit a PDF, and at that point I'll log out of the other PC and log into CC on this PC....

I am getting the impression that Reader is being launched for the PDF, but its realizing I have Acrobat Pro installed and is passing the file along instead of following MY preferences!  If I drag a PDF onto the reader exe, it still launches Acrobat Pro instead..

Thanks for any help with this.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open Acrobat and then open the "Preferences for Acrobat ("Edit => Preferences", and on the general tab uncheck the option for "Tell me if Acrobat is not my default PDF viewer", and close Acrobat. Open Reader and then open the "Preferences",  "Edit => Preferences",  on the General tab check the "Tell me if Acrobat Reader is not my default PDF viewer". Now use Windows explorer to find any PDF, right mouse click on the PDF icon and select the "Open with" menu item and them select "Adobe Reader" .

It is not always best to have both Reader and Acrobat on the same machine. This used to cause problems with older versions, now users are not happy with the default application action,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines