• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word 2010 - .pdf - background image repeating

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make a catalog using Word 2010, but when I go to convert the document to .pdf, it makes the background image small and repeats it, very annoying.

notsupposed to look like.pngsupposed to look like.png

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Acrobat are you using and what method are you using to create the pdf files? What job options file?

Are you  printing to PDF or using the Ribbon? Which ever method you are using, what happens if you try the other method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat X - I just click File, Save as Adobe PDF in Word. I tried both methods and same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the same thing happen if you print to the Adobe PDF printer?

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect then that the issue is with the Word document.  Have you tried a simple: Select All, Copy, & Paste into a new Word document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm thinking, the background image is a bit larger than what is showing in the word document though. I tried using a simple gradient background too, and saving it as a .pdf, the background is much less smooth than in the word format. Does Acrobat just not like backgrounds in Word?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bueller?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried making it in Powerpoint and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you experience this problem with any other background images in Word?  Acrobat is capable of converting background images, but doesn't seem to like this particular image.  What format is it in?  Have you tried placing that background in your Word document as a different format?

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2012 Aug 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a .jpg. I noticed even using the native Word gradient backgrounds, the background is not the same. I'm using Powerpoint and converting to .pdf with no issues however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if there might be some sort of issue with either your Word or Acrobat installation.  I've not been able to reproduce this issue.

Could you try:

• Repair Office (Programs > Right-click Office > Change > Repair)
  • Repair Acrobat (Help > Repair Acrobat Installation from within the app.)
  • Try setting up your document again from scratch in Word and converting.

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2012 Sep 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's how Word prints background with gradients - you should see similar results if you print to a physical printer. Search Office forums for some workarounds. for example:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-word/background-gradients-print-repeated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old bug and still there with 2016, but there is a workaround for this, please follow the following:

• Remove the "page background" by replacing it with white solid color.
  • Open the header pane.
  • Insert the image, set its text wrapping to Behind Text, and drag its sizing handles so it covers the whole page. You may want to use the controls on the Picture Tools tab to reduce the contrast and increase the brightness.
  • Close the header.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was personally having this issue in Word 2013 where the Print Preview displayed the background image correctly, centering and filling the entire background, yet printing to a PDF or printer results in the background image being tiled repeatedly on the entire page ==> finally figured it out!

Since the Header formatting option presented by others typically is not an appropriate option for many encountering this issue, and the background printing/spooling options don't work, the resolution to prevent the background image from tiling when printing to a PDF or a printer is as follows:

• Open the document in Word 2010/ 2013

• Click on the 'Page Layout' tab

• 'Page Background' section > click 'Page Color' > click 'Fill Effects...'

• 'Fill Effects' window opens > click 'Texture' tab > click 'Other Texture...' button

• 'Select Texture' window opens > navigate to and click on the desired background image > click 'Insert' button

• 'Fill Effects' window opens > click 'OK' button

Since there is a known issue between MS Word and some print drivers resulting in pictures in the background being tiled instead of centered and filled, the trick is to insert the background image as a 'Texture' instead of a 'Picture'. Save your Word document and then edit as needed for any content to be displayed on top of the background image.

- Albaloshy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This IS the solution... look no further!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% WORKS

THANKS!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Believe it or not, this is still happening in 2023!!!  Sorry, I know this post is very old, but I was also experiencing the same issue as those here.

Inserting as a "Texture" did not work for me, nor did inserting it as a header.

After playing around for a while, I saw the "Watermark" setting...

IT WORKS!!!!

So if, like me, none of the above work for you - insert your picture as a watermark!

Word 2021;-

Design > Watermark 

Screenshot 2023-06-14 114325.png 

Then go to "Custom Watermark"

Screenshot 2023-06-14 114504.png

Then select "Picture Watermark", click on "Select Picture", choose the picture you want to use as your PDF background.

Next, in the "Scale" section, instead of "Auto", change this to 100%. This will make the picture fill the entire background of your page.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 114654.png

Make sure that "Washout" is not selected - unless you want the background to look washed out, of course!

I hope this helps out anyone else who is still experiencing this issue in 2023, where the fixes above don't work for them, like me.

Stupid, isn't it? Such a basic, long-standing issue that I can't believe is not fixed - I can't imagine this is not a common issue either?  Surely this must be quite a regular thing that people want to do in Word? Especially when creating ebooks etc?

Anyway - I hope it helps,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines