• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 11 - "Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition service" We can't OCR any documents. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it worked for about 2 weeks. Why does this keep failing?

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our OCR ability keeps stopping.  Getting a message that it might be corrupt.  If we reinstall it will work for a week or two and then we get the same message again...Anyone have any ideas.  Getting tedious reinstalling the program...

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue occurs when some installation file is removed or corrupted.

- uninstall Acrobat once.

- Delete Acrobat preferences from (Regedit>HKCU>Software>Adobe> Adobe Acrobat> Version) and C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[version]

- reinstall Acrobat.

I hope it will resolve your issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn’t work. What is the cost to upgrade the program to DC and how do I go about it... I can’t spend any more time on this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After following your advice, it still doesn’t work. I opted to upgrade on the advice of support. $200 later it still doesn’t work! I am now using Adobe DC with the same error messages.

HELP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also please download and run Acrobat cleaner once after uninstalling Acrobat to remove all files and settings once and reinstall Acrobat again.

Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2016 Sep 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening Lovekesh,

I uninstalled Adobe DC, rebooted, ran the acrobat cleaner, rebooted, reinstalled the new DC program....Same error.

Can this be escalated to someone that can log in and take a look at the system?

Thanks,

Beth Horne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2016 Sep 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are extremely sorry for your loss. I am escalating your issue and someone from our team will get back to you very soon.

We may have to do some connect session on your system to analyse the rootcause.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was about to send you some documents, but really I’ve tried using multiple, different .pdfs, all with the same result. I am in the office today, 9/26 and Wednesday and Thursday this week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty much sure this is somehow related to the machine and not with pdfs or Acrobat version.

If you try to run OCR on same document from any other machine it will work fine.

Please share the time slot as well which suits you best for the meeting.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am available today until about 2:30 Eastern, Wednesday 7-3:30 and Thursday 7-3:30. Whenever works best for you. I have tried this on another machine and that didn’t work either. Could it be a network setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning Lovekesh,

I am in the office all day today and tomorrow until 4:30 eastern. Whatever time works for you is fine with me. Please let me know.

Thank you,

Beth Horne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Again Lovekesh,

I believe we have our problem solved. I was on chat support this morning.

Thank you for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m back…The problem was not solved, but we were able to narrow down to a specific type of document. Any documents that are scanned in, as opposed to converted. We get the following error.

We are a paperless office and scan everything in. Please help!!

Thank you,

Beth Horne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 05, 2017 Jul 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beth,

We have finally prioritized the issue and have added a logger in the OCR functionality to give us the needed information whenever this happens.As this issue is not reproducible at our end, we need your availability for the same. We'll share with you some binaries for narrowing down issue to its root cause with the logging added.

Please let us know whenever you are available.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2017 Jul 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having same issue with no resolution.  It Started with Acrobat 11 pro after working fine; I upgraded to Acrobat DC.  uninstalled DC, ran cleaner, manually deleted all references, reinstalled and I still get same error "Unable to locate the Paper Capture Recognition service"

adobe error.jpg

-Seth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sethzo,

Let us know if you're facing the same issue, we can arrange for a logging session to get more info at your end.

Also let us know of your availability in that case.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just started happening today! WTF is going on with Adobe?

Acrobat could not access the recognition service because:

Unable to locate the Paper Capture recognition service. Your installation may be corrupt.

This is probably due to either a low memory situation or an corrupt installation. If the problem is not cleared up by shutting down other applications and/or rebooting, then please re-install Acrobat.

late 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Retina with 16GB RAM.

I tried restarting and running my memory cleaner.

How could my installation become corrupt?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see my solution; try and copy files from the PaperCapture subfolder of Plug_ins to the Plug_ins folder.

I can't tell you where it is in Mac; I use Windows.

The issues seem to be with the path- as you get subfolders to subfolders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just turned the mac off (rather than restarting). That seemed to work. Acrobat DC also came up with a splash screen with something about the "latest version" on it... Why can't Acrobat update the way the rest of the CC does? Seems like it does it in stealth mode which is a real PITA, since I don't know it is updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All--

I had the same problem with Adobe Acrobat DC 2017. I just solved it. I found that Acrobat's Paper Capture was in a conflict with I.R.I.S. OCR software that came with my new HP printer ENVY 5855. As soon as I uninstalled I.R.I.S. OCR software Acrobat started working. Please check if you have other OCR software that may be in conflict with Acrobat. Good luck! Eugene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked for me but I hope it does not screw up my HP Scanner, we will see.  I never had the conflict before then about 3 weeks ago it started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines