• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any way to detect if the user is not opening a form with Adobe Reader?

Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many users have non-Adobe default pdf readers installed on their computers. Even though I provide explicit instruction about installing the latest Adobe Reader, and that it is required to open and operate our forms, the users default pdf reader is still set to open it even after they install the Adobe Reader program. I include in the instructions how to open the form with the reader too.

Sometimes the user does not read the instructions carefully and do not realize that our form is being opened on their computer by their default pdf program. They would then complete the entire form only to realize by the end that it will not work properly.

Also, JavaScript can't be used with most other pdf viewers... is there some way to detect that Adobe Reader is not being used to open the form and warn the user up front not to proceed?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

No... at least, not as your question was asked.

However, what I do is to add a layer to the PDF file that tells the user that the document won't function properly unless an Adobe viewer of a certain version is used to view it. Then I add some JavaScript that will hide the layer if the viewer can run JavaScript and if the version conditions are met.

The idea is that the document is set up to always assume it is in the wrong viewer and then if it can detect that it's in the right one, hide the warni

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No... at least, not as your question was asked.

However, what I do is to add a layer to the PDF file that tells the user that the document won't function properly unless an Adobe viewer of a certain version is used to view it. Then I add some JavaScript that will hide the layer if the viewer can run JavaScript and if the version conditions are met.

The idea is that the document is set up to always assume it is in the wrong viewer and then if it can detect that it's in the right one, hide the warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Joel. That makes perfect sense to me. I just realized about a week or so ago that Acrobat handles layers... I need to get myself more familiar with this when I have the time to do so.

Thanks for the heads up!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines