• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I use Java script for postcode lookup?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a script that will enable me to enter a postcode to then be presented with a list off addresses to select?  Can You connect to the royal mail postcode search system?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they offer a web-service that can be accessed using SOAP or an HTTP request and that returns this information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be lying if I said I knew the answer to that one.  If no, I'm guessing the answer to my original question is no.  If yes, there may be hope?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. If that doesn't exist the answer is no. If it does, the answer is yes, but it's complicated to implement...

The only other option is to take a text file that contains all the possible results and embedding it in the PDF, but I think that's probably not an ideal solution, for many reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Royal Mail do offer such a service, for a fee. Don’t know what sort of programming interface it has but it’s unlikely to work in a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd recommend forgetting about it. Most people know their own postcode and it's just not worth the effort, time and money it will cost to implement such a feature.

If you want you can implement a validation of the postcode itself, though, to make sure it's in the right format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to be able to take a post code from a client and then prepopulate a field with their address to avoid user error/spelling issues, especially with Welsh addresses.   Thanks anyway, I'll forget that train of thought and go back to manual input.  Thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Postcodes usually cover more than one address... How were you expecting to do that? Or do you mean just the city/village name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Postcodes in the UK cover a single street, never more, often less. So address lookup is very common on web sites: only the house number/name and postcode is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, it's the same in The Netherlands. In that case it would make sense to use it, I guess... Although if that's the case then just entering the postcode and house number (and possibly name) should be enough, even without the rest of the address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am currently using various websites & then copying and pasting the address into my form, I was just looking for a quick fix to implement something into my form to automatically do this to avoid copy & paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines