Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining files in action wizard in Adobe Pro XI

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I'm sure these questions have probably been answered at some point and I wasn't able to find them, so here goes.

I have Adobe Pro XI and I had a few questions about the tool/action wizard section. I have a lot of tiff images in multiple folders in multiple directories. I'm trying to combine the files in each individual folder into one PDF file, OCR the combined file and finally endorse it. Right now I can only create an action with the "Recognize Text using OCR", "Add Bates Numbering" and "Save to Local Folder" actions and I have to run the "Combine Files into PDF" action separately because it can't be added to the action that I have created.

• I wanted to use the "Combine Files into PDF" action with other actions. Is there a way to add this step to the action that I created? Or is there a workaround to this issue/problem?
  • Is there a way to run the "Combine Files into PDF" action on multiple folders and not have Adobe combine all the tiff images across all folders into one PDF. For example, if I have 2 folders in 2 different directories with 5 tiffs each and i pull both folders in Adobe to be combined can I get 2 separate PDFs with 5 pages each instead of getting 1 PDF with 10 pages.
  • If there is a solution for the 2nd question, then is there a way to have the 2 PDF files output in the files that the tiff images are located in?

Thanks,

Winnie

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have one more item that I needed help with. When Bates Numbering more than one PDF at the time, Adobe numbers the PDFs sequentially. For example, if I have 2 PDFs with 5 pages each, the first PDF will be numbered correctly from 1 through 5 but the second PDF will be numbered 6 through 10. Is there a way to have Adobe start the Bates Numbering for the next PDF start at 1 instead of 6?

Thanks,

Winnie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can answer about combining all files in a folder: You can't do it using the built-in commands in the Action Wizard (unless you run it each time on a different folder), but it can be done using a script, such as this one I've developed and which can be purchased from here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- Batch Combine All PDF Files in a Folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You keep answering this question saying we have to BUY something.  I have yet to see a simple answer to a simple question.

Combining files with the Action Wizard.  In the action wizard there is an action to COMBINE FILES.  All I want to do is select the folder which is always the same and have it combine all the files in that ONE FOLDER.  This should be do-able since the action is listed in the Action Wizard.  But when I add that action it only puts 3 files in the new file instead of opening all of the items.  I selected the folder icon and selected the folder I wanted the action to run on.  This should work.

So...instead of trying to sell me something else, please answer the simple question so many keep asking...HOW DO YOU SET UP THE STUPID ACTION WIZARD TO COMPLETE THIS SIMPLE TASK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ha ha, You know, you attract more flies with honey than vinegar, especially when you want it for free 😉  

The Combine Files command in the Action command list does not have any settings, so the folder cannot be preset, you have to select it at the time the Action is run. As far as how it works, it is what it is. Adobe created it, and if they didn't provide any settings, then there is nothing we can do about it. It's too bad they didn't do a better job on this one. 

However, I gave it a try and it combined all the files I specified into a single PDF.  I added a couple of different folders containing images. Worked fine.  It displays all files as you select them, so you can see exactly what it is going to combine. To finish off the combine there is a "Combine" button. After combining it moves onto the following commands in the Action. When the Action is complete, the finished PDF should be open in Acrobat. 

It's possible that you are missing a step in this process. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines