Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert multiple files (word docs) to multiple pdf

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2008 Oct 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there a script I can use in batch processing to convert about 1500 word documents into pdf? I know it's possible to convert multiple files into one pdf, but this is no good to me. Doing these conversions one by one is going to take forever!

I've tried selecting a few documents at a time and then selecting "convert to pdf" from the right-click menu, but each one requires that you tell it where to save, and then opens the file when it is done.

I need to convert Word files on a regular basis for work, and could really use a batch process for this with so many to do!

I have Acrobat 7 Pro (version 7.1.0) on XP Pro SP 2 at work, and Acrobat 8 Pro (Version 8.1.2) on XP Pro SP 3 at home.

If there is anyway it's possible to do this via a batch process I would really appreciate knowing how!!

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I searched but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance :)
TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the instructions Bernd Alheit posted and i was successful. I'm using Acrobat 8 Pro and i converted 300 files. Thamks Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2008 Nov 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I'm using Acrobat 7 Pro at work, so I guess I'll have to take the files home and try that on Acrobat 8 instead.

Thanks for all the ideas :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2009 Jan 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd,

Does the batch use the user-set preferences in Word for converting the .docx or is this a "generic" conversion?

Secondly, I almost missed your solution because it was so simple 🙂 I was looking for a JavaScript.

Thanks,

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can create a portfolio of a folder of Word files. Then extract the files from the portfolio to individual PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add Word files to a Portfolio there is an option to convert the file to PDF but this assumes you have everything setup properly for the use of PDF Maker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t recall setting anything up for PDF Maker, and I’ve installed Acrobat hundreds of times. Is it sometimes a problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Batch conversion from supported file formats to pdf can be done by creating an action with Action Wizard:

Click Tools button from the upper right>Click Action Wizard>Click Create New Action...>Click Save & Export from the left panen>Click Save>Click the button that it's located between the left and right pane>Click Specify Settings from the right panel.

Now, I checked the box called PDF Optimizer>Click Settings and then, on Images category, for Color Images and Greyscale Images I choosed Maximum Quality, which increase the file size, but it's OK for me.

Now, I clicked the Save button and provide a name for this profile settings, something like "Maximum quality".

Click OK, click OK, click Save, provide a name for this Action, something like "Convert all to pdf at maximum quality", then click Save.

When you want to convert, for example a bunch of .docx files to pdf, open Adobe Acrobat Professional, click Tools from the upper right, click Action Wizard, under Actions, click "Convert all to pdf at maximum quality", choose Add files or Add folder from the drop down menu located immediately under "Files to be processed:", browse and select the folder that contain .docx or other files formats, click OK, click Start.

Adobe Acrobat Professional will start conversion, without unwanted prompts.

When the job is finished, click Close, and close Adobe Acrobat Professional. If it prompt to save changes to untitled, click No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat 9 Pro. I can batch convert Word docs to PDFs by doing this:

1. Open Acrobat Pro. Click File > Create PDF > Batch Create Multiple Files...

batch1.png

2. A window will open prompting you to add files. Click Add Files > Add Files... OR Add Folders... If adding a folder, navigate to it, and click OK to add it to the list. You can also select a bunch of files and drag & drop them into the Add Files window.

batch2.png

3. Once you have all the files listed that you want to convert, click OK. A new window called Output Options will open. In this window, select your preferred settings. For me, I want all the new PDFs to have the same filename and be in the same folder as the Word docs, so I choose these settings:

batch3.png

4. Click OK, and then the batch process will begin running. You will see Word opening and closing. However, you won't have to click Save or anything. You can run it unattended. The process takes a little while, so I usually set up a batch to run, then go to lunch. Once finished, you should have all your new PDFs:

batch4.png

Hope that helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@llamallamaduck, that's exactly what the OP was looking for, and what I was looking for too. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However with the latest Acrobat Pro DC I cannot get any of this to work.

Batch processing multiple word documents is a PITA currently.
Newest Version and newest Word.

Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Acrobat Pro 2017, there is an option under File | Create | Create Multiple PDFs

acrobat_screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ Mod: Spam removed ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and have tried to batch convert multiple word documents to pdfs, unsuccessfully. I have around 300+ word documents which need to be converted to pdf's and cannot imagine opening each one and saving as pdf.

I am using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC with Word 2013 and Windows 10 Professional.

Is there a command line procedure which can be used to convert multiple word files to pdf's?

I used the Action Wizard to create an action to do so, it gives an error "An unexpected error occurred. PDFMaker was unable to produce the Adobe PDF. Whenever I try to select multiple word files into pdf's by selecting those manually, it throws the same error.

Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Adobe software more than a dozen times over the last 3 months, no resolution.

This is extremely frustrating and I will have a total of 600+ word documents to convert by the end of this week.

Can someone post assistance for the PDFMaker error or anything else that can resolve this? I have tried all the solutions and instructions posted in the various screenshots on this page but to no avail.

Apologies if this is repeated in another thread, I have been looking but couldn't find anything.

Much appreciated and thanks !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it with Windows Powershell if you have Word installed.

Open a powershell window (windows search bar - search 'windows powershell') and paste the following (update the path to the folder containing the files before pasting as pasting usually just executes the code immediately).

#Change the path

$path = "C:\Users\jdoe\somefolder\"

$word_app = New-Object -ComObject Word.Application

#Convert .doc and .docx to .pdf

Get-ChildItem -Path $path -Filter *.doc? | ForEach-Object {

$document = $word_app.Documents.Open($_.FullName)

$pdf_filename = "$($_.DirectoryName)\$($_.BaseName).pdf"

$document.SaveAs([ref] $pdf_filename, [ref] 17)

$document.Close()

}

$word_app.Quit()

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm.

Awesome, and thank you for posting from your knowledge @mattl90946033

Am sure a lot of forum members will benefit. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pdf error.jpg

I tried it. It didnt work for me. Is there any ways Acrobat convert multiple words to individual pdfs?

When I try to convert them it gives pdf make errors.

If it is not functioning why is it there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to have started a line (line 4) with -Filter, for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2019 Jul 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG it worked. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked flawlessly, thank you very much indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines