• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expected a dict object and This document enabled extended features.. when trying to open in Acrobat/Reader/Designer

Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suddenly getting these errors when trying to open a PDF we have used before.  Oddly, it will open in Edge browser and Chrome okay but not IE11 or earlier.  Acrobat or Reader (have tried DC and XI and X).

File is here:

http://www.filedropper.com/blacksburghopechapel

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

The PDF file is corrupt. The last update that was made did introduce this problem. The reason you are not seeing this with Edge or Chrome is that these two browsers come with their own PDF viewers. The document was created in LiveCycle Designer, which means it's an XFA form and not a "normal" PDF form. Both Edge and Chrome will only display (and therefore process) the static portion of the XFA form, whereas Acrobat or Reader will look at all the information in the file.

You can restore the previ

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF file is corrupt. The last update that was made did introduce this problem. The reason you are not seeing this with Edge or Chrome is that these two browsers come with their own PDF viewers. The document was created in LiveCycle Designer, which means it's an XFA form and not a "normal" PDF form. Both Edge and Chrome will only display (and therefore process) the static portion of the XFA form, whereas Acrobat or Reader will look at all the information in the file.

You can restore the previous version of the file by opening it in a binary editor, then search from the end of the file for the next to last %%EOF (there is one in the last line, you want to get the one right before that), and then remove anything after that next to last %%EOF and save under a new filename. You can now open this newly created file, which will have everything but the last update in it.

Do you know what software was used to update the file just before it showed these errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Karl,

Running into similar issues,  with one of the most commonly used government OPM form "SF182". If you can google/download/review this pdf which has a digital signature box on page 2 I am having an issue with some users when they sign this pdf on pro/DC versions.

Some of the users when they sign, the file gives an error message for the next user only showing the signature and hiding all the information from the form. I can see the content if I use chrome (not DC/Pro version). What do you recommend? And how exactly I can try restoring the file to previous version?

Thanks,
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What error message are you getting? Please provide a link to the file in question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me as well.
I used hexfiend for the binary reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked.. thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome.  That worked great.  Thank you so much and no, I don't know what software was used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever it was, it very likely introduced the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created my PDF file with Adobe PDF Pro. I edited out the next to last %%EOF but it did not improve.  

The last five pages were corrupt - looked like tiny white boxes and I was getting the expected-a-dict-object error when attempting to print the file or save the file or delete the corrupt pages or copy the fields to a new PDF. I didn't like the solution to export the file to JPG and re-import it - too much hassle for a frequently updated PDF.  I used an website PDF online service, ilovepdf dot come to remove the last 5 corrupt pages.  It worked.  I'm glad because the file had 25 pages with hundreds of fields added to each page. I wasn't looking forward to rebuilding it from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, don't "edit out" the last but one %%PDF, that couldn't fix anything and wasn't the recipe given...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I tried that didn't work on my Win10 | Adobe Acrobat Pro 2020 system:

"You can restore the previous version of the file by opening it in a binary editor, then search from the end of the file for the next to last %%EOF (there is one in the last line, you want to get the one right before that), and then remove anything after that next to last %%EOF and save under a new filename. You can now open this newly created file, which will have everything but the last update in it."

With all due respects, the solution above may work for most and it's possible I didn't execute the solution accurately however the ilovepdf dot com file split ended successfully after spending hours trying dozens of solutions posted graciously and in good faith for which I am grateful.  However, I've had this problem several times over many years with various Windows OS and Adobe Pro versions.  I would think Adobe would either update their code to prevent this corruption from occuring or post a simple fix for this problem instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines