• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forms Not Emailing—Was There a Software Update that Broke Something?

Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have developed many of my employer's prodedures using AcroForms, which are used often. The forms submit, depending on the form, using either the submitForm() or mailDoc() method that will create an email populated with data from the form. Everyone's default email client is Outlook.

Since yesterday afternoon, I've had several people come to me reporting issues with submitting a form. Thus far, I've had reports of three different forms having issues. The code didn't change. Something else must have changed—especially since I'm getting reports of forms utilizing both methods having the same issue.

Was Acrobat DC or Reader DC updated? Was Outlook updated? If so, is there a workaroud/fix to this issue?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What issues does you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forms that have been working for years no longer pop up an email on the mouse up event of a submit button due to an Outlook update.

The forms use either the submitForm() or the mailDoc() method.

It's causing Acrobat Reader DC to prompt for an email client on submit unless you change that in Email Accounts under Edit > Preferences.

For some users, Acrobat Reader DC/Acrobat DC is crashing on submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I've gathered, Microsoft 365 updated Outlook, causing this issue. Colleagues of mine with Outlook Version 2004, build 12730.20206 cannot submit an email using the submitForm() or mailDoc() method. One colleague was able to submit a form, but he has Outlook Version 2004, build 12730.20182.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 

I hope you are doing well!

I am sorry for the trouble you had, would you mind sharing more details about the issue the users are experiencing when submitting the PDF form?

Are they getting any specific error message when trying to submit the PDF form? Which application they are using to submit the form, Acrobat, or Adobe Reader?

What exactly happens when the user submit the PDF form? Is the default mail application is not opening to attach the form? If yes, this help article may help in resolving the issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/attach-to-email-not-working.html

You may also take help from the following articles and see the workflow of submit button on a PDF form: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/setting-action-buttons-pdf-forms.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/publishing-interactive-pdf-web-forms.html

Any error message screenshot would be very helpful. Along with the OS details and the Acrobat/Reader application installed on the user's machine and the Office suite details.

The last update released for Acrobat and Reader was on March 17, 2020, version 20.006.20042 Planned update.

If the users are not on the latest version, please ask them to install the latest update of Acrobat/Reader from the help menu > select check for updates. Reboot the machine after updating Acrobat/Reader and check.

Recently, Microsoft released an update related to the Office suite. You might want to get the latest patch installed as well. 

But, there have not been a major changes in these updates that will break any workflow.

Please ask the users to update the Acrobat/Reader application and the Office suite along with OS updates and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know how it goes and share your observations.

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is the most recent version of Office. I don't have the issue at all as I'm one the only employees still using Office 2013.

I've had employees check their default mail account both within Windows and Acrobat DC/Acrobat Reader.

Outlook had an update on April 14. Users who have Version 2004, build 12730.20206 are not able to submit a form. It prompts for default mail app until you change it in Edit > Preferences > Email Accounts. Once you've done that, it does nothing from that point on. A user who also has Adobe CC used Acrobat DC to try and submit the form and it actually crashes Acrobat DC when the submit button is clicked.

Again, this is in multiple with a submit button with multiple submit methods. I've developed dozens of automated forms specifically for my employer that were all working and now they're not. I don't believe it to be an Adobe update issue, but one that Adobe will likely need to patch due to a Microsoft Outlook update. I doubt we'll see Microsoft be the one to fix it.

Users running Outlook Version 2004, build 12730.20182 or earlier have no issue in submitting the forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In looking at Microsoft's release guide, It appears that users with Version 2004 participate in Office Insider...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-office365-proplus-by-date

Here's the Office Insider List:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-monthly-channel-targeted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Karl, for highlighting another thread.

Thank you for sharing the details MADink_Designs27

This seems to be related to the latest Office update. For further investigation, please share the process monitor logs from one of the affected user's machines (you can share more logs). Also, the current version of the OS installed.

Please download the log collector tool, run it, reproduce the issue, and share the logs with us in direct/private message only.

Also, please share a sample PDF form in the private message only so that we can replicate the issue at our end. 

Thanks,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines