• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create auto tab function in PDF file

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a form have lot of fields that I would like to have auto tab to next field function, so I don't have to tab each single field.

Capture.PNG

I saw few posts mentioned to use Java Script, but I don't know which Java is correct one to use. I need something allow me to enter numbers and letters. Also I need to know where do I enter the script Format Script or Keystroke Scripts or wherelese.

Thank you so much!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Crystal,

I’m curious about your image?

I could be totally wrong, but if this is your example of a form with lots of fields where you want auto-tab, it should be one text field formatted as a comb field. I think I count 17 parts. Comb will be grayed out until you uncheck all other options in that tab. If you want to use it with the lines you have, format it to have no fill and no border. Alternatively, you can add a border to create boxes. It will export as one text field.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, your method works great for the vin identification no. box. thanks a lot. 

Since my form has many fields that can't combine with vin box, I have to create seperate text box for each field I need. Is a way I can auto tab for other text fields. For example, I would like my cursor move to next field (registered owner) automatically after I finish vin # box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Users tab between fields by pressing the "Tab" key. That's a pretty simple action. If you want the this to happen automatically, then you need to figure out what triggeres it. What is it that the user is going to do to cause the keyboard focus to change to the next field?  Is it when the final slot in your comb field is filled? Is it when the user hits the return key?  These are the things that will determine the scripting.

BTW: here's the base script for setting field focus

this.getField(<field name>).setFocus(); 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Tab" Key is simple but slow when you have to fill out 50 -100 forms a day. Auto Tab will save me lot of time on pressing the keyboard if I can set up for certain field. What do I enter for Focus? I am newbie on script. and thank you for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To answer your question I need to know the exact action that will cause the focus to change from one field to the next.

On another note.  You're filling out a lot of forms. Have you considered an auto-filling script. If there are any common fields and/or values that are always entered, then you can create a script that will automatically enter those values, saving a great deal of time.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines