• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to programatically create non-editable PDFs?

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to create PDFs which are non-editable programatically? I want to automatically generate a PDF which cannot be editable using a PDF tool. Everything I can see is based on using the security settings manually within the Acrobat tool, but I wanted to know if there is another option?

Thanks..

M

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I honestly don't know what you mean by programatically in this context but I can suggest that once you finish editing the document with Adobe Acrobat Pro you can save the form as Reader Extended.

Go to File, select Save As Other, Reader Extended, More Tools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't protect the PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant by using an API for example. So a web application can dynamically generate a PDF and ensure that this PDF is protected and cannot be edited by a user. This would mean not using Acrobat at all in the PDF creation process. If a user attempted to edit that generated PDF, it will error or prompt for a password. I hope that makes more sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's too easy to get around that type of security. Digital Rights Management may be an answer but it's pretty spendy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well in that case yes you can apply the Save as Other, Reader Extended More Tools, plus you can  disallow any backward compatibility with earlier versions of Acrobat.

This would prevent Acrobat Pro users from editing any further the form. 

They will be enabled to just fill & sign, comment and print.

The only way to save a copy is by printing, for example.

I did not suggested password methods in my reply since they are useless, specially when it comes to printing the form as a postcripted file (flattening or refrying if you may). There is nothing that prevent this, and even google chrome browser will remove such password security.

You may, however, consider applying a digital certification mechanism such as applying digital signatures which will allow you to review the validity of digital certificates which in return may allow you to to compare a document and see if it was tampered with.

This is not really my area but is the best suggestion I can offer to your inquiry at this time and to the best of my current rookie skill level.

Neverthess, If I were you I would give this approach a try, test it and sahre back your feedback on how did it worked for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines