• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a sample C# plug in?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a sample plug in, written in C#, that is a good intro? Myabe just 1 button added to the Acrobat menu that inserts text at a specific place?

thanks - dave

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

I think the latest SDK release still requires Visual Studio 2010. I have a virtual machine running Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2010 that I use for plug-in development.

As far as calling C# from native C++, see this stack overflow question: clr - Managed C++ to form a bridge between c# and C++ - Stack Overflow

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plug-ins have to be written in C or C++. You cannot write an Acrobat plug-in in C#. The only thing you can do with C# is to use the IAC API and have a way to "remote control" some aspects of Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ow, not the answer I was hoping for.

Here's my problem. We have a pretty large program, written in C#, that is an AddIn to Microsoft Office. We'd like to make it a plugin to Acrobat too. But rewriting it in C++ is a deal killer. It's not just the code, it's the 40 or so dialog boxes, some of which are very complex.

Can we write the plugin in Microsoft Visual Studio Managed C++, and that can then call our C# code? And yes, this means Windows only but that's ok for our use case.

Can that be done?

thanks - dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use plain old (unmanaged) C++ for the actual plug-in. I assume you could then find a way to link in managed code or your C# code, but that's not my field of expertise, so I will let others comment on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, promising. Can I compile the code with Visual Studio C++? If so, there is a way from plain old C++ to call C#. It's a bit of a pain, but once set up then it just works.

thanks - dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reading the plug in developer guide and on page 39 it says a plug in can be compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio (good news).

But it limits it to VisualStudio 2003 and 2005. Is that correct? Or can I use Visual Studio 2015?

thanks - dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the latest SDK release still requires Visual Studio 2010. I have a virtual machine running Windows 7 and Visual Studio 2010 that I use for plug-in development.

As far as calling C# from native C++, see this stack overflow question: clr - Managed C++ to form a bridge between c# and C++ - Stack Overflow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks. I may be able to make this work (we use .NET 4.1 and C# 4, but as a reference that may be irrelevant to the C++ part).

Scary that they're 5 years behind on the tools that can be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at this discussion from a couple of weeks ago about VS 2015: Re: How to build Acrobat Plugin with Visual Studio 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - we will be targeting Acrobat Pro so we may be good.

Thank you so much for your help on this - you rock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your link to a plugin developer guide was from the Acrobat 8 SDK. About 9 years out of date. Best to start with the current SDK not loose documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the current SDK documentation and downloads? I did a search for those and that's what came up.

thanks - dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We have same requirement. Plugin is already developed for MS Office in Visual Studio 2017 on that we are displaying a form. and now its required for adobe. can you tell me what have you done to achieve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have used C# WPF DLL libraries created using Unmanaged Exports - Robert Giesecke from Adobe plug-in. You will face some challenges to position windows etc. if C# DLL is where you host majority of the custom dialogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines