• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a script to compress and attach pdf form to mail?

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have a pdf form which eventually ends up in a size of over 200MB when filled, primarily due to Pictures.

I want to create a submit button on the form which when clicked automatically compresses the file and attaches itself to the mail box.

If this is possible requesting to please help with the script.

thanks a lot for your help. 

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Reader can't compress the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the images in the form are jpgs, you can't compress a jpg because the jpg is a compressed format. (To show this, select a jpg on your computer, do a compression (e.g., zip) on the image and compare the difference in size — there is none.

HOWEVER: if you half the size of an image, the storage size goes down 75%. Think of it this way: if you have an image that's 1000 pixels wide and 1000 pixels high. That is an image that is a 1,000,000 pixel image. But if you now have the same image but is now 500 x 500 pixels, it is a 250,000 pixel image.

What I do not know is if you put the images in this form or if the people filling out the form put the images into the form. If YOU put the images in there, there is some chance for more control on the size of the images. If you depend upon the person filling out the form, it's almost impossible for them to learn how to prepare the images for form insertion. That is, unless, everyone of the recipients is a Photoshop user or the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> If the images in the form are jpgs, you can't compress a jpg because the jpg is a compressed format. (To show this, select a jpg on your computer, do a compression (e.g., zip) on the image and compare the difference in size — there is none.

That's not quite true. The compression used by the JPEG format is not necessarily the strongest. There are compression algotihms (including zip) that will reduce the size of a typical JPEG file. Maybe not by a lot, but also not by zero...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are correct. As I was tapping the "Post" button, I realized I should have said "the difference in size is minimal at best." But I had other things to take care of and just left it. I knew that someone was going to come along and correct me...

;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines