• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Javascript is over 1000 lines, so Editing it for too long crashes my Adobe. Is there a way to fix this?

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question itself is pretty much the short of it.

My Javascript has become too large, and It sometimes crashes on me when I attempt to edit it for too long.

Is there a way to fix this?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't edit the code within Acrobat. Use a proper code editor (I like to use Notepad++), but not as an "external editor". I write all the code there, and then copy it and paste into Acrobat's built-in editor when ready.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I've resorted to doing now, it makes creating the code SO much easier.

In your experience, what is the largest script you've written within Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to say... Must be at least 10K lines of code. At some point it gets too large for the built-in editor and you have to either split it or use an external editor to enter it. In that situation I prefer to use Notepad, as it's the most basic and simple one to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that is good to know because it seems I just hit the cap for how much code I can have for the in-built Acrobat editor. 

I just set up Notepad as my external editor.   How does one access the javascript in the notepad file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Once you've set up Notepad as the external editor it will automatically open each time you enter the JS editor.

You need to paste (or write) your code in it, then close the application (and save the file, of course) for it to be applied in the PDF.

Also, while Notepad is open you can't access the PDF, as it's a modal window, just like the built-in editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines