• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Help to Choose between javaScript and Plugin Development Using Adobe Acrobat SDK

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

I am looking for what to choose between javaScript and Plugins development in Adobe Acrobat

I have two main requirements:

1. use web API and web services.

2. use content Stream.

I have gone through the Adobe Developer FAQ reference for this(https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/Acrobat_SDK_developer_faq.pdf). [on page number 18] [screenshot is given below]

Saske5E87_0-1612765966887.png

found that my both requirements lie in different development technologies.

so how I can achieve this?

any lead is appreciated

Thanks

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you can use SOAP etc. from a Plug-in. However, there is no Acrobat API to do so. A plug-in can use other APIs and system calls, but needs to take great care because if the API waits, Acrobat is hung. You would need to set up service threads. Be sure to test with Protected Mode both off and on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, I have one more question to ask 

I want to save the file to a location using JavaScript for this I need the content stream.

if I proceed with JavaScript can I able to access the content stream as it saying "no" in the above table image but as I go through the documentation of JavaScript API reference I found that there is a "documentToStream" method, will it do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I want to save the file to a location using JavaScript for this I need the content stream."

I believe you may be completely misunderstanding the term "content stream". This is something very specific in PDF internals, and not a copy of the bytes of the file.

In any case, if you could get the bytes of the file, Acrobat JavaScript couldn't write them to a file! But it has a save as function, subject to major limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines