• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pdf printer doesn't install on macOS

New Here ,
Oct 19, 2016 Oct 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe DC doesn`t install the "PDF Printer" on mac system when install the program.

I uninstall, reinstall, uninstall all programs and the Creative Cloud (and clear fix them) and re-install again......and.....nothing.

I need the Adobe PDF Printer because need make a booklet built on Indesign. (I use .ps and distiller after, but this method is very boring)

How install the PDF Printer manually on mac?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

You absolutely can't.

Changes made in MacOS a number of releases ago prevented Adobe from continuing to provide this functionality.

Manual creation of PostScript and feeding the Distiller (what you are currently doing and deem “very boring”) is the only alternative.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolutely can't.

Changes made in MacOS a number of releases ago prevented Adobe from continuing to provide this functionality.

Manual creation of PostScript and feeding the Distiller (what you are currently doing and deem “very boring”) is the only alternative.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov for your consideration!

I am disappointed for it. For me, it is step backward, for both, Adobe and Apple.

I hope so for a easy solution soon.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish that fixing your problem was easier.

The fact is that the PDF produced by direct export from InDesign is much higher quality PDF than that produced by distilling PostScript. PDF via distillation of PostScript “ruins” transparency (PostScript has no such concept as transparency and as such, transparency is flattened at some resolution at the time PostScript is generated) causing any number of side effects. The resultant PDF is not color-managed. It is also true that the PostScript generated by InDesign (and for that matter Illustrator) is designed for direct printing to a physical PostScript device, not for PDF creation. This can cause issues with search, touch-up, etc.

In terms of general workflow, the best place to create booklets or do other imposition is at the RIP or for digital printers, at the devices DFE (Digital Front End). Alternatively, if printing directly from Acrobat, another “better” alternative is to do the imposition of the PDF pages in Acrobat itself. There are a number of third party Acrobat plug-in products (extra cost of course) that do an excellent job of creating booklets, n-up, step-and-repeat, etc. imposition tasks. Some examples are PDF Snake and Quite Imposing.

Maybe if enough customers were to ask for it (post in ​Feature Requests​ forum), Adobe might consider adding PDF file imposition within Acrobat Pro?!? 

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dov

Your observation was correct! This is the real difficulty!

I will look for third party plug-in to make it, (or ask my RIP service if they make this). But I wish make my self.

I will regard your suggestion: post in feature request forum. But I believe is better make an update on Booklet build (PDF directly) on Indesign than make it on Acrobat DC (or both ).

Thanks DOV!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines