Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rollover buttons don't work for users with Reader

Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I performed the steps of this procedure to the letter: Hide an Acrobat DC button except during rollover...

and it works great on my machine, but when I send the PDF out- the rollover functionality does not work for users with standard Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Any advice?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Reader XI is not the latest version, actually. The latest version is called DC.

They don't need to have the latest version of Reader, but they do need to have (and use) Reader. It will probably not work in other PDF viewers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you test it with Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, yes I did. I tested it on two other machines that just use Reader.

The image below is what happens in Acrobat Pro....can it work in Reader?

7-1-2016 7-49-34 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will work also in Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't though...can you identify if privacy settings or anything else have been ignored?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be that the users doesn't use Acrobat Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they and I have not been using reader then.

The sequence of events went:

1) I created the form

2) I saved it as PDF
3) I emailed it to two people and it didn't work

4) I emailed it to myself (to be viewed on two other computers that do not have ACROBAT PRO)

5) I opened the PDF on both computers and the PDF would not work....only works on the PC with Acrobat Pro.

Does that make more sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you use to view the email? Did you save the attachment to the local disc and open it in Acrobat Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly enough,

When I download from my email and open- the cursor becomes a "clickable hand" near the rollover button (it still doesn't work)

When I download from my email, save to the desktop, and then open- the cursor is in "text mode" throughout the document- even near the rollover buttons (obviously it still doesn't work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a link to the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make it easy for everyone, I've added the PDF to my company's public KB site. If you follow the link below and then look to the left- you will see the PDF attached.

I just confirmed on another computer that the file opens and can be downloaded safely.

Thank you again. t

7-1-2016 9-52-53 AM.png

https://kb.peer1.com/#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:2145:src:article

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine with Reader XI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right...I downloaded Reader XI on my Mac and then downloaded/saved the files to the desktop- it worked as expected.

So, is the correct answer: have everyone who will view the final product of this file download the latest version of READER?

Thank you Try/Bernd for keeping with me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader XI is not the latest version, actually. The latest version is called DC.

They don't need to have the latest version of Reader, but they do need to have (and use) Reader. It will probably not work in other PDF viewers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just having the latest version of Reader will not necessarily make this work: Depending on how you view the PDF file, Reader may not even be involved. If you open the PDF file in the browser, or an application that acts like a browser (certain email clients will do that when opening attachments), it depends on what type of browser you are using and how that is configured. If you are using Chrome or MS Edge, then Adobe's PDF viewer (Acrobat or Reader) will never be used when the PDF is being displayed in the browser. You can configure these browsers to open a PDF file in an external application (e.g. Reader). In this case, you will have to tell your users to download the file and then open it in Reader (which can be done either manually, or if the browser is configured correctly, automatically). If you are using Firefox, the browser needs to be configured to use Acrobat/Reader as it's PDF viewer. For IE or Safari, things should just work. You can find out about how to configure different browsers (and if they even can be configured this way) here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/display-pdf-browser-acrobat-xi.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big thank you for this one. t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it does not. I opened it on my iPad and it does not work at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Acrobat Reader on Windows or Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These have been used exclusively with acrobat reader. And they do not work. I have seen the mountain complaints since the most recent update. They are all over the web like a rash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines