• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split String to Extract First Word from Text field

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to split a text field, named Client1, to extract just the first word using a space as the delimiter.

Here is what I've put together from reasearch, but it isn't working when placed as a custom calculation script in a read only text field:

var str1 = this.getField("Client1").value;
var res1 = str1.split(" ", 1);

event.value = res1

I think I'm missing something in going from the array produced by var res1 to the desired event.value for the field. I appreciate a point in the right direction - thanks!

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

I suspected it was a name field... In that case I would recommend you don't do that, as you can't know how long the actual first name is (many people have multiple words in their names, both first and last, not to mention middle names, titles, etc.). Let the user enter their own name. If you want to make things a bit more automated then do it the other way around: Let the user enter their first and last names separately and then combine them automatically to a "Full Name" field.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I got it to work with this:

var res1 = str1.split(" ");

if (res1.length==2){
var first = res1[0];
var last = res1[1];

event.value = first;
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the value of this field will be more (or less!) than two words your script won't work.

You should remove that if-condition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hiii!  It's a full name field and I want to extract the first name - so there is the possibility of the field being more than two words - so just use this?

var res1 = str1.split(" ");

var first = res1[0];

event.value = first;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspected it was a name field... In that case I would recommend you don't do that, as you can't know how long the actual first name is (many people have multiple words in their names, both first and last, not to mention middle names, titles, etc.). Let the user enter their own name. If you want to make things a bit more automated then do it the other way around: Let the user enter their first and last names separately and then combine them automatically to a "Full Name" field.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gotcha! Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines