Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text box word count and error message

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Any thoughts on how to add a script in Adobe Acrobat 2017 to a text box, which will perform and show a current word count from a required amount "Say 250 words", and if this is not achieved, then show a message box saying "Word count much exceed 250"

I have 4 text boxes on a form and need this to show in a field above each text box.

Thank you for any help provided

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the counter to update "live", as the user is typing, it's a bit of a complicated task.
I've written a tool that allows you to set it up easily, and it can be customized to show this error message you want.

You can find it here: Custom-made Adobe Scripts: Acrobat -- "Live" Characters and Words Counter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Appreciate the response.

Is there a version I can try before I purchase?

I would like to see how this works with my form before purchasing.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me an email (try6767 at gmail.com) and we could discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

counting words in a text box is pretty easy.

var strText = this.getField("textfield").value;

var aWords = strText.split(/\s+/);

var nCount = aWords.length;

this code could go into a calculation script for a text box that displays a message, or with some modification it could be used in a Keystroke script on the field being counted, to return real time results.

You'll find scripts for this exact purpose( and much more ) on this subscription site:

Calculating field values and more   (look at the article Counting Text items)

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for the link,

I will check out and revert back if I get my solution.

I am a novice though, so it may take some time and more questions being asked.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom,

When I add the "word count" code it removes the multi-line formatting.  Is there a way to do both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

On the text field that you want to test, add this code as a custom  validation event to each of the fields you want to test. (you could use a document level script but that is not needed if you only have 4 fields to work with)

var aWord = event.value.split(/\s+/);

this.getField("Text5").value = aWord.length;

if ( aWord.length < 250)

{

app.alert ( "Word count must exceed 250");

}

This is a variation on the code above, the reason to place it in the validation event is that then it will only be fired when the user leaves that field and therefore should be the correct time to tell them that they have not entered the correct amount of words.

Hope this helps

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malcolm,

I already have the code in place and it works, I just need to know how to keep the Multi-line function.  When I implement the word count code it makes the text revert to a single line scroll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two things have nothing to do with each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi ,

Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear, when I used the code in my example in the locations I specified I didn't loose the multi line option, therefore I suggested you use that and see if it was some other code that was causing the problem because as stated above, the two are not related.

Regards

Malcolm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines