• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The AcroPDF.PDF Class is no longer accessible from VisualBasic6 after update 11.0.0.7.

May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to 11.0.0.7 of Acrobat Reader it is no longer possible to get an instance of the AcroPDF.PDF Control in Visual Basic 6

Private PDFExt As VBControlExtender

Set PDFExt = Me.Controls.Add("AcroPDF.PDF", "PDF")

This worked fine with the 11.0.0.6 Version of the Reader!

Is there any solution available?

Thanks in advance

Stefan

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Accessing the ActiveX from a Delphi application also don't work. Worked fine with 11.0.06 but not with 11.0.07. Need an update asap!

Regards

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 15, 2014 May 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we get some answer on this? This problem is really annoying and i bet there are alot of developers affected by this.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2014 May 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using AcroPDF.dll ActiveX in a VB6 application for years in my company. Since update 11.0.07 application crashes. I would appreciate a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list.

We are using 'pdfviewer' from acroPDF.PDF in VB6 for years now.

Since the update to 11.0.0.7 our hotline is running hot

The problem is, we don't have an influence on what version of acrobat reader our customers install and whether they use the automatic update function.

Please inform us, if you have a workaround or better still a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest that, as well as waiting for a reply, that each of you report this as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can i report a Bug?

Thanks

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I have reported it now.

Let's hope it has an effect soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reported as well, hopefully this will be solved soon.

I also found the solution to embed the Control within a .NET Control. I already heavily work with the Interop Control Toolkit within my project. If there is no solution in the near future i will implement this in .NET as well.

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported it too.

Regarding embedding in .NET control, how about printing? I found some stability issues playing with focus (switching from and back to my test app while it was printing caused a crash in the control, but only on Windows 8 - on Windows 7 apparently this does not happen). No other problem until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are currently investigating this issue to determine the cause and how soon we can issue a fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any news on this issue?  I have 70+ users of a macro that uses this feature.

I understand that a fix may not be easily done, but an update would be helpful.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 19, 2014 May 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as we have more info, we'll post it.

We are well aware of the problems this is causing and we are doing as much as we can!

Leonard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, I'm currently experimenting with embedding AcroPDF into an Interop User Control (C#). It seems to work as long as displaying a document is concerned, while there are maybe some issues with printing (PrintWithDialog() method).

Kludgy solution, I know, but my app already uses some .NET components so no more extra load and maybe this will fit my needs al least temporarily...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue with Adobe Reader 11.0.07.

We are embedding the AcroPDF.PDF using AXHost and our call to create the control fails with an access violation.

hr = AtlAxCreateControlLic( OLESTR("AcroPDF.PDF"),  m_wndMain.m_axwnd.m_hWnd,   NULL,   NULL  );

This is impacting our customers as we have no control over when they update. I too would like fix as soon as possible and have also reported it via the Bug Report link above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a developer of an Italian software house.

Our product is developed in Delphi.

The display of *. Pdf via TAcroPDF no longer works for many of our customers and we are in serious trouble.

Best Regards

Carlo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - here is the situation.

With Reader 11.0.7, we (finally!) now provide a 64bit version of AcroPDF.dll so that Reader can be used in 64bit browsers! Great news for customers.

However, that means that anyone who built an application with an older development environment (eg. VB6) that doesn't know from 64bit DLLs (or "universal" 32/64bit DLLs) will no longer be able to load AcroPDF. As these older environments have not been supported by Adobe for many years now (I think we dropped support for VB6 around Acrobat 9), we didn't test this scenario.

For those of you who are using modern development environment but had previous built your apps as 32 bit (because of AcroPDF) - you can now simply rebuild as either 64 only or "Any" and not only will things work again but you're app will now be 64bit!

Hope that helps everyone understand the situation and how to remedy it.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you are saying anything built in vba for excel, regardless of the version, is no longer supported?

Admittedly, I am not a professional programmer.  Does this mean I just have to remove anything Adobe from my macros?  Or will there be something later we can use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say anything about VBA - I commented only on VB6. We have not done any testing with VBA in Excel (or other applications).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

is it planned to restore this 32bit Support in the future or is this feature gone?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Stefan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well before I wait for a solution from Adobe here is my solution using the Interop Control Toolkit from MS

Hopefully this will help out some of you using the good old 32Bit Developement Evnironments 😉

Public Class AxControl

Inherits AxHost

Public Sub New(ByVal strCLSID As String)

MyBase.New(strCLSID)

End Sub

End Class

Private WithEvents m_axCtrl As AxControl

Private strProgId As String

Private m_type As Type

Private args As Object()

Private Function GetControl() As AxControl

Dim bolErr As Boolean

Try

strProgId = "AcroPDF.PDF"

m_type = System.Type.GetTypeFromProgID(strProgId, True)

m_axCtrl = New AxControl(m_type.GUID.ToString())

bolErr = False

Catch

bolErr = True

End Try

If bolErr = True And m_axCtrl Is Nothing Then

Try

strProgId = "pdf.pdfctrl.6"

bolErr = False

Catch

bolErr = True

End Try

End If

If bolErr = True And m_axCtrl Is Nothing Then

Try

strProgId = "pdf.pdfctrl.5"

bolErr = False

Catch

bolErr = True

End Try

End If

If bolErr = True Or m_axCtrl Is Nothing Then

Return Nothing

Else

Return m_axCtrl

End If

End Function

Public Function InitAdobeReader(ByVal pFile As String) As Boolean

If GetControl() Is Nothing Then

Return False

End If

Try

DirectCast((m_axCtrl), System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).BeginInit()

m_axCtrl.Enabled = True

m_axCtrl.Name = "axCtrl"

m_axCtrl.TabIndex = 0

m_axCtrl.Left = 0

m_axCtrl.Top = 0

m_axCtrl.Width = Me.Width

m_axCtrl.Height = Me.Height

Controls.Add(m_axCtrl)

DirectCast((m_axCtrl), System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).EndInit()

args = New Object() {False}

m_type.InvokeMember("setShowToolbar", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, Nothing, m_axCtrl.GetOcx, args)

args = New Object() {pFile}

m_type.InvokeMember("LoadFile", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, Nothing, m_axCtrl.GetOcx, args)

Return True

Catch

Return False

End Try

End Function

Public Sub Destroy()

m_axCtrl.Dispose()

cMemoryManagement.FlushMemory()

End Sub

Private Sub InteropUserControl_Resize(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Resize

If m_axCtrl Is Nothing Then Return

m_axCtrl.Top = 0

m_axCtrl.Left = 0

m_axCtrl.Width = Me.Width

m_axCtrl.Height = Me.Height

End Sub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I wrote some days ago, I started testing with Interop User Control, too, and it seems working (I understand Adobe's point of view, but as many others I too have older software that I cannot still drop support for, and I can't control what my customers install and update nor can I tell them to not update...). Did you have any issue with printing, e.g. printWithDialog() method?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issue by now with printing. I call the printWithDialog Function

Public Sub printWithDialog()

m_type.InvokeMember("printWithDialog", BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, Nothing, m_axCtrl.GetOcx, Nothing)

End Sub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I had was a "crash" of the control (but not the host application, resulting in a grey rectangle...): if I switched to anothed application and then returned to my test app while it was printing, as soon as the printing progress regained the focus it crashed with the "adobe reader has stopped working" message... but maybe an issue with my develop machine (win 8.1, 64 bit), on another one (win 7, 32 bit) this doesn't happen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines