• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my .png image file's text not made editable in Acrobat DC pro?

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image which contains text. I imported it to Acrobat DC and tried to use the OCR but the text does not get recognised, made into live text or placed in to editable text blocks. Does OCR not work on certain types of images?

TOPICS
Acrobat SDK and JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Correct Answer:

Found out the hard way. It can't OCR white text on a black background. I inverted the image in photoshop and job done, Acrobat recognised the text!!

Thanks for the posted answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the PNG at 200 ppi or more, a scan of a clean white paper original (not photocopy or fax) with text in paragraphs of common English?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image format doesn't matter. What matters is the resolution of the image (the higher the better) and the quality of the scan and the text in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct Answer:

Found out the hard way. It can't OCR white text on a black background. I inverted the image in photoshop and job done, Acrobat recognised the text!!

Thanks for the posted answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat's OCR is pretty good, but no match for dedicated OCR applications. For more challenging OCR jobs (like your's, or two different languages in the same document), I keep a dedicated OCR application around. It's a bit more cumbersome to use vs. just clicking the "recognize text in this file" tool, but when needed, it does a better job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Karl, great suggestion. Any dedicated OCR applications you would recommend?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines