• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Amazon S3 and PDF Embed API do not work together

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if somebody here can actually help, but PDF Embed API stopped working since I started storing my files in S3. It gives a very plain error:  

File preview error. File preview not available, please reload to try again.

I think there is some problem with permissions but can't find any help. My files are private, but my website has access to them with IAM role. However, in this case, Amazon probably thinks that it not my website, but Adobe who is calling it and therefore just does not return anything. And Adobe API can't properly handle it to tell the true reason.

Anyone got a solution to this? Or at least a good advice on debugging it?

TOPICS
PDF Embed API

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set up CORS to allow files to be loaded from S3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, but I don't have big experience with it, so not sure if it's correct. But not sure if this is enough when my S3 bucket is not public.

[
    {
        "AllowedHeaders": [
            "*"
        ],
        "AllowedMethods": [
            "GET"
        ],
        "AllowedOrigins": [
            "https://mycustomdomain.com/"
        ],
        "ExposeHeaders": []
    }
]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - Yeah. The bucket needs to be public if you are going to pass the content using a URL. If you want to keep the bucket private, you need to retrieve the file using the S3 API then pass it to Embed API as a Promise that resolves to a ByteArray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.. I'll read about this. I'm not at this level of knowledge about S3 yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

did you manage to solve it ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually no. Just decided to drop it and have a link to pdf file instead. Works nearly the same - one click away from a user

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lior, the discussion here is all crucial, especially the security warnings. The solution, such as it is, is covered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you have any examples of that? Especially the latter part with object passing to Embed API. I'm using the simplest integration in html template based on this arrticle - https://medium.com/adobetech/easily-embed-pdf-into-your-website-using-adobe-document-cloud-view-sdk-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have experience retrieving a file (or Blob) from an S3 bucket but a simple Google search should turn up some code.

Once you have that, take a look at this CodePen for how to pass a Promise that resolves to a ByteArray as the PDF content. In my example, it's just reading in a Base64 string but it will give you an idea of how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you are concerned for the security of your info, but you need to be very careful indeed with this. There is no problem with publicly available S3 files, which just have a public URL.

To access files on S3 that do not have public access means you must, of course, give your S3 credentials - so S3 knows it is you. Your credentials include a public part and a secret part. But this is where the problems start. You can't, thank goodness, put these credentials into a URL - thank goodness because the world would immediately have them! You have choices. You can fetch your S3 file via a private API to S3. Or, you can generate a special URL which has a coded version of the credentials that cannot be faked (though of course the URL can be copied and shared!)

But here's your next problem: you have to include the secret key in your JavaScript code, to either use the API or generate the special URL. Your JavaScript is public, so you would be giving away access to the world again! If you absolutely MUST do this, at least use the Amazon IAM feature to set up an acccount that can read just these files, nothing else - otherwise your Amazon AWS account and all your data can be completely stolen. 

If I were a security auditor I would condemn and, if possible, forbid any of the above. But what are you really trying to protect? Are you trying to do DRM on the cheap? Generally, if you want to serve sensitive data (such as a bank statement) it must be served by a web service with authentication and user passwords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. OP, do not put direct access to S3 in your client-side JavaScript, use some sort of middleware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! All of this does make sense. I'll think again about whether I really need this to be private. It's not personal data or anything else as sensitive. I just wouldn't like somebody just going there and downloading all the assets that I have collected to serve on my website (these are not easily obtainable elsewhere and I spent a lot of time on it). But probably people will be able to scrape it anyway, so who am I kidding here... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, if you serve the PDF to Embed API as a Promise and disable the print and download buttons, they won't be able to scrape the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources